It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, December 19, 2011

Chapter 12, Page 19, Book 11


MERRY MONDAY!

There is a story told about a woman who believed she had a hearing problem. Her friends kept telling her she had a problem. She was always asking them to repeat what had been said in conversation. So she made an appointment at a hearing clinic. 

The doctor told her that he had the latest diagnostic technology but that he preferred using his old reliable test first. So the doctor took out his old pocket watch. Seated across from the woman, he held up the watch and asked her if she could hear the watch ticking. Sure, just fine, she answered. So the doctor got up and walked behind her, getting the same positive response from the woman. 

The doctor then walked to the other side of the room, standing 20 feet away and asked if the ticking could still be heard. She said she could hear it easy. The doctor returned to his chair putting the old reliable watch back into his pocket. Looking at the woman he gave her his diagnosis. Your hearing is perfect, he said, your problem is not in your hearing, you just don't know how to listen!

Strange as it seems  we do not all hear the same things.  Identical words may be spoken but you and I will hear different things.  and then sometimes we tend to hear what we want to hear.  Sometimes noise drowns out what we want to hear

Since I celebrated Christmas with most of my family this past Saturday, this is going to be a nice quiet week here for me.  I know I'll be hearing from many of them again on Christmas Day but for me this week is time to sit back and relax.  All the busy days of preparation -- the shopping and the wrapping are over and I'm ready for the peaceful days ahead.

I hope your Monday is a MERRY one!

'On Ya'-ma

5 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

Such a sweet story. So true. Many, many people do NOT listen, even when they hear you, loud and clear. Very sad. Things can be misunderstood. ENJOY your quiet week, MA. I have so many things to wrap up here, but can't cause my knee gave out. I can't even hobble. Can't walk on it at all. Pain is horrible. I decided I may have to go to the hospital since the doc can't see me until after the holiday. Take care.

jack69 said...

Never heard that one, but I am sure that there is a lot of truth to the fact, many folk cannot listen.
Have a great day!!!
Love from down here.

Scrappy quilter said...

Hope your week is a wonderful one, with quiet and reflecting. We won't have family with us for Christmas so it's going to be quite different. Hope you have a wonderful Mon. Hugs

Jean said...

Good entry MA. I have a few gifts to wrap but not all that many maybe I can get my daughter to help when she gets here. Lol. Grover and I get when we want are need anything so we don't surprise each other on Christmas. I hope you have a great week. Jean

JeanJournal said...

Ilove that story. We seem to forget our "old timey ways" of figuring out what's wrong. Have a lovely (rest of the day) ~ Jean(Rome Georgia girl)