It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Chapter 12, Page 10, Book 11



Up on the housetop reindeer pause
Out jumps good old Santa Clause
Down thru the chimney with lots of toys
All for the little ones
Christmas joys...


SUPER SATURDAY!

This year I added a few new Christmas decorations to my stash here at my house   Totally unplanned by me, I have a reindeer theme now going on around here.  I already had a few old reindeer in the Christmas decorations, but now there are several more.  I wanted something new to go along with the new color scheme I have since the front room and dining room were painted last year and it just happened that the reindeer fit the bill.  

Anyway since I now have so many of them I thought I'd share what I've found out about reindeer and why the play a part in many of our decorations at Christmas time.

The legend of flying reindeers (eight of them) was probably originated by Clement Clarke Moore in early 19th century poem Twas the Night Before Christmas. 

Reindeer are sturdy, short-legged animals, having a brownish coat that is dark in the summer and light in winter; the long hairs under the neck, the fur just above the hoofs, and the region about the tail are almost white. The stag measures about  6 ft in length and is about 36 inches tall, measured at the shoulder; the doe is somewhat smaller. The animals have large, spreading hoofs that enable them to travel on snow-covered areas. They feed on vegetation such as grasses, leaves, mosses, and lichens, obtained by scraping away the snow cover with their antlers and hoofs. For many centuries reindeer have been domesticated in their original habitat, which ranges from Norway into northern Asia. They have been trained to wear harnesses in order to pull sleds through the snow.  

Christmas reindeer symbolize happiness, joy, pleasure, treasure, truth, kindness and goodness.  Legend also says you can make wishes come true by touching the nose of a Christmas Reindeer.

Reindeer magically pull Santa's sleigh through the sky and magical dust is sprayed over each of the reindeer that make them very fast and quick

Adults and children alike love reindeer and they are present in lots of Christmas stories.

Maybe you've heard some other folklore or tales about Christmas reindeer but that's about all I could find.  No matter, I'm enjoying their company here at my house.  

Just maybe I'll have to touch a reindeer nose and make a wish or two.




Hope your Saturday is a SUPER one. 

'On Ya'-ma


5 comments:

Midlife Mom said...

I love reindeer! When we take our grand kids to New Hampshire each summer we visit Santa's Village that has real reindeer that you can pat and feed! I think I like it as much as the kiddos!!! ha! They are very sturdy looking.

That corgi :) said...

I think the reindeer theme is a cute one, Ma! I do like your new blog header picture! I didn't know that about the reindeer, I just assumed they were bigger animals, maybe because I imagined them carrying the sled and think they had to be big to do so!

enjoy Saturday!

betty

Sonya said...

Love the reindeer! Your decor is pretty with him sitting on the table. Love it.

jack69 said...

Boy, can I remember thinking, wow they will fly in tonight!!!

Love the entry. YOu make me think@

TARYTERRE said...

Reindeer are one of my favorite parts of Christmas. LOVE the header picture showcasing one of yours. And the candleholder is sweet. Wonderful information about reindeers and their folklore. I saw a live one just the other night. I would have touched his nose if I knew it would bring good luck. Take care.