It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Chapter 11, Page 29, Book 11


If you don’t know where you are going, any road will get you there. 

 C.S. Lewis

TERRIFIC 2'S TUESDAY

As with other roads, I often find that the road to Christmas is paved with good intentions. Somehow it all comes together. It’s not perfect, mind you, but Christmas does arrive and the family is always gathered and much food is consumed and we all walk away happy...

In the great rush to Christmas, though, there are a few things that I insist on.  One is the playing of Christmas carols.  I don't care whether others may like them or not, if you are within three feet of me anytime between December 1st to December 25th, you will be hearing Christmas carols.

Christmas songs never really leave us. Like clockwork, they come back annually to set the holiday mood. They are less like old songs and more like familiar friend -- just like the folks who sing them. Without holiday hits, entertainers like Bing Crosby and Perry Como may have faded into the past and their hit songs would have been buried in another era. But because of their holiday hits, these performers now come back to us each year with the regularity of Santa himself.

THEY remind each of us of the joy that is coming this Christmas season, as well as the wonderful love and glad tidings from past holidays as well

Carol singing, church bells ringing,
Once more Christmastime is here.
Children laughing, grownups beaming,
Hearts are warm with Christmas cheer

Ruby Lee Mitchell

One sure cure for the holiday blahs is to actively participate in the holidays. Go caroling. Create a gift, sew, bake, paint, carve or build. Write a thank you note to someone that has made your life better this year. Explain the meaning of Christmas to a child. Address Christmas card envelopes for nursing home residents. Attend a Nutcracker ballet performance. Make snow angels. Laugh often and smile at strangers. Go to a live reenactment of the nativity. Gaze at the winter stars. Say Merry Christmas to a stranger and listen to Christmas music.  Most radio stations have them playing all day long this time of year.

Just hear those sleigh bells jingling, ring ting tingling too ...Just holding your hand, We're gliding along with a song of a wintry fairy land. ...
 
Hope your TUESDAY is a terrific one!


'On Ya'-ma

7 comments:

jack69 said...

For many reasons, Christmas is my favorite time of the year.
It has become more important to me since losing most of my hearing. And yes, one reason for the joy to me, is that I KNOW WHAT IS BEING SUNG. When Bing Crosby sings,'I'm Dreaming of A White Christmas', I'm right there. Just to read those words 'Ring ting tingling too' sends a song flying in my head.
THANKS AGAIN!

That corgi :) said...

I like the advice you gave, Ma, on how to cure holiday blahs! Focusing on others, instead of yourself, is a great thing I do believe! I know you are enjoying getting ready for Christmas!

betty

Rose said...

Christmas if my favorite holiday! I heard my first Christmas song of the year while driving in the car the other day and it put a smile on my face............

betty said...

Ma, your, ring, ting, tingling and sleigh bells ringing has me humming along with you. You are going to have a great "Mele Kalikimaka" (Merry Christmas in Hawaiian)

Elizabeth said...

I love Christmas !

TARYTERRE said...

I LOVE Christmas carols. They brighten any day. I play them from morning to night, from now until Christmas Day. It drives my husband crazy. LOL 'Tis a wonderful season. We got our first snowfall today. Since I came back from my trip, I have been running a 101 fever, have a sore throat, hurt ears, chills, tummy problems and a runny nose. Been miserable. But when those Christmas songs play, none of that matters. Take care.

Buttercup said...

I have a musical snowman on my desk and when I need a little lift during the day I press his hand and a medley of Christmas music comes on. Very few people can resist the music when they come to see me.
Wishes for a wonderful Wednesday!