It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, November 14, 2011

Chapter 11, Page 15, Book 11



God’s gifts put man’s best dreams to shame.
 Elizabeth Barrett Browning


MERRY MONDAY/What is your rope tied to?

You may have heard of the man who decided to repair the roof of his house. The pitch was steep, and to be safe, he tied a rope around his waist and threw the other end of it over the top of the house. He called his son and asked him to tie it to something secure. The boy fastened the safety rope to the bumper of their car parked in the driveway. It seemed like a good idea at the time. 

But a little while later, his wife needed to run a few errands with the automobile. Unaware of the line securing her husband, she started the car and proceeded to drive away. The rope immediately tightened and jerked the man over the roof and into thin air. Now before you become alarmed, let me assure you that this never really happened. But I chuckle at the image of the poor guy sailing over the top of his house like Evel Knievel without a motorcycle. 

Sometimes it takes a disaster for us to wake up and realize that our security does not lie in our jobs, our relationships or how much money we have.  I know for a fact that you can have next to nothing and still feel secure.

If we feel down deep that we can be content in whatever circumstances we can feel secure and safe.

There was a time in my life that I thought that my husband having a good job was our security.  Of course I found out differently.  Another lesson I had to learn.  

Then I realized that no matter what circumstance I found my self in, security was still there, deep inside my heart and I realized that it's not the conditions that make me secure but it's my choice of thoughts and my attitude.  If you choose to be content you really will be happy. 

 This month I've been taking the time to appreciate my life and all the good things in it. Winter is coming and I for one intend to content and cozy no matter how hard the wind blows or how much snow falls.

Have a MERRY Monday everyone.  Hang on to your ropes.  Feel secure and content!

'On Ya'-ma

7 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

I had to chuckle at this story. When they were doing the roof here a few years back they all debated where to attach the rope. Finally they agreed on the tree in the backyard. It was firmly rooted in the ground, so all was well. I'm secure in the notion that life is as good as I make it, MA. So like you I will tolerate whatever Mother Nature throws our way this winter. Take care.

jack69 said...

Oh Yes, thanks for the laugh. I knew a guy who tied his awning to the truck bumber 'temporarily' and for got it. OUCH>

I love the EB Browning quote.
That woman was very insightful.

We are taking a day trip today. Take care up there.
From Florida,
Sherry & Jack

That corgi :) said...

Good points, Ma! Hanging onto our ropes is a good thing to do and making sure our rope includes our faith and trust in God is the best thing! I know I've been doing lots of thinking about things and have come to the conclusion that our true hope, contentment, security, love, etc is in Jesus and nothing and no one else; now getting it into my thick skull is sometimes hard to do!

I hope you have a good Monday!

betty

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Glad i could give you a giggle....my hair is very oily and i sleep with a contured pillow....some days i could be a punk rocker...!!

Enjoy

Kath said...

I have a great need to feel secure and I leave it to the Good Lord to make me so.Friends like you inspire me to feel so too
,with you little reminders each day.Loved the story LOL!! Thankyou for the chuckle today Ma.Take care God Bless Kath xx

Dad said...

Thanks Ma

DAD

Dad said...

Thanks Ma
DAD