It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Chapter 11, Page 1, Book 11



TERRIFIC 2'S TUESDAY / TRUTH OR CONSEQUENCES

Many things that others say
Are not for us to tell;
Help us, Lord, to watch our tongue
We need to guard it well
Knowing the difference between truth telling and gossip is one of most difficult aspects of life in my opinion.  

 When does truth telling become gossip?  I think it has to do with intent.  If I share information with you because I dislike someone and I want to influence your feelings, then it's gossip.  If there is absolutely no reason to share a piece of information or concern and I do it anyway just to have something to say, then it's gossip.  If I share negative information without balancing it with positive or mediating it with the fact that I cannot possibly know the entire situation, then it's gossip.

May we think upon and live out truth and only truth today.

Many of us would rather tell a white lie than the brutal truth to avoid an awkward social situation.  But an honest relationship is one that is more likely to last. Whether in business or in our personal lives, treating people the way you would like to be treated brings its own rewards.  Telling the truth is generally much simpler. There is only one set of facts to remember. Even where it may be difficult to tell the truth, the long term effects are usually less damaging.  Honesty always has been and always will be the best policy.


Remember:  

Whoever gossips to you will be a gossip of you.

Source: God's Little Instruction Book for Women


That's my 2 for this Tuesday.  I hope you all have a TERRIFIC day!


Destroy gossip by ignoring it.


'On Ya'-ma

8 comments:

Buttercup said...

Very thoughtful. Love the look of your blog. Can't believe Thanksgiving is right around the corner.

Sr. Ann Marie said...

Great post--offers a lot of food for thought! Thanks.

That corgi :) said...

Love the turkey header picture Ma! So festive for the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday!!

I always think with gossip that we do need to be careful what we share and I have told people that if what you are going to share with me, would you share it with the person you are talking about. If they say yes, I'll listen to it, but I try to be very careful with things like this. It usually doesn't work out well to spread stories, destroys relationships, etc as you I am sure know!

I hope you had a nice Halloween evening with the trick or treaters! We only did get two of them!

betty

Pat MacKenzie said...

That's a very clear definition of gossip and truth. Something to remember and think about.

jack69 said...

As always, good stuff Ma.
Again great insights by you and I also love the quotes you find.

I lost a friend last year. I was a pallbearer. I turned to the other guys and said, "If you ever told Sonny anything in confidence, it is still in this box." He was one of a kind. Thanks for causing some wonderful memories, with a tough subject.

Kath said...

Love the new Header Ma and as for gossip."A wise head keeps a still tongue" Have a Terrific Tuesday.Take Care God Bless.Kath xx

grammy said...

Just caught up
love the quote
"Enjoy life, it has an expiration date."
So true (o:
Great thoughts on gossip...which comes in many forms.

TARYTERRE said...

I believe you have hit the nail on the head about gossip vs. truth telling. The key is what your intent is period. LOVE that new header picture, MA. The turkey is precious. Take care.