It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Chapter 10, Page 30, Book 11



R and R Sunday/ Close the Gate

There is a story about two men walking down a country lane and across some fields. One of them forgot to close one of the gates. After seeing some cows, he realized his mistake and walked back to close it. He said it reminded him about the words an old man shared with him many years before, As you travel down life's pathways, remember to close the gates behind you. Such advice is one we could also keep close. Life is never straight forward and there are many attractions, distractions, obstacles and challenges. We often make mistakes, we could have made better choices and we sometimes regret not having done something completely different. But we shouldn't allow these to dominate or take over our lives. That is why it is so important to close the gate and simply move on. . By closing these gates he also invited them to move forward and to cherish each day as a fresh start and a new beginning.

My Sundays are my way of closing the gate to the week that just passed.  I try to make sure that my R and R on Sunday helps me to move on with a fresh start for the new week that will begin on Monday.

We get a chance to start over each and every day and Monday's are always a new beginning to a new week.  All the challenges of the past week are done and over and we make a new start on Monday.  Being relaxed, rested, refreshed and renewed seems to me to be the best way to do just that.

I hope you all have a wonderful R and R Sunday at your house!  

Close the gate and move on.

'On Ya'-ma

8 comments:

That corgi :) said...

I like this one, Ma. Close the gates indeed! Something to really think about and then do!! Have a great Sunday!

betty

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Try my blog again....i hit "enter" by mistake and before i could correct the error..i had to let the dogs out...let the cat in...get another cup of coffee...and decide whether to get dressed or stay in my PJ's....picture should be there by now....Have a great day...!!
LindaMay

Sr. Ann Marie said...

Good story. Sometimes I think "closing the gate" is part of crossing over the threshold to whatever lies ahead.

Kath said...

A short phrase and easy to remember Ma.Close the gate.Gives me something to think about as I have a couple of gates left open still.xx Have a Blessed Sunday.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

TARYTERRE said...

Well I'm going to close the gates from now on. Like that concept. Spending a rare afternoon with my grandchildren today. So rest and relaxation will come later. Enjoy your day, MA. Take care.

jack69 said...

We must remember to close the gates. The closing is not for us but for others. In dealing with farmers/ranchers I know how very important that little phrase is, close the gate.

have a great day and enjoy the R&R
Mid 60's the morning going to the upper 70's.

Hollie said...

You will never know what your entries here mean to me! I always go away with a renewed strength & wonderful advice!! Thanks for that!!

Sonya said...

Amen! I am refreshed and ready for my new week! Hope it goes well. Only one can hope and do their best. You have a good week too.