It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Chapter 10, Page 25, Book 11



TERRIFIC 2'S TUESDAY/ Stopping by and promises to keep

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow
.My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep. 

Robert Frost


Good intentions are not enough. And promises don't count unless they are performed

Every individual struggles to gain and maintain alignment with values like ethics, promise and principals.  What ever our personal beliefs, we all face opposition and challenges.  Sometimes these cause us to do things contrary to our intentions and promises.  We may think that we can change deeply imbedded habits and patterns simple by making new promises or goals only to find old habits die hard and despite good intentions familiar patterns carry over.

We can have all the good intentions in the world, but if you don’t act in a way that’s consistent with those intentions, your goodwill is meaningless.

One problem many have is making too many promises and then they don't have time to follow through.  It is far better to make fewer commitments and keep the ones you do make than to agree to everything and only partially  deliver on the promise.
Following through is simply the right thing to do, but it also has an unexpected benefit. When you follow through on your commitments, including the commitments you make to yourself, you gain confidence, belief, and momentum.
Have you ever wondered why a resolution you made never got fulfilled or why something you longed for never happened and despite all your good intentions your life isn't happening the way you want it to

It starts on Halloween and doesn’t stop until New Years…the demise of our healthy diet and lifestyle. Every year we go into the holidays with good intentions, yet we come out with an extra 10 pounds

Every year I say I'm going to be better prepared for the holidays, and I am taking baby steps so that December will be a fun month rather than a stressful push to just get through the holidays.

Just like the poem above, I've miles to go before I sleep, but I'll still be stopping by with a post every day.  It is not snowing here yet, but it is cold .  Have a TERRIFIC Tuesday everyone!

'On Ya'-ma

7 comments:

Hollie said...

I agree so much with this entry!!! Especially keeping your word! That's a big one for me!!!

I'm already stressing about the holidays, & it really shouldn't be that way! I stress about the gift giving! It seems that there's never enough money.....plus it seems to me that everyone place their focus on the gift giving & not the REAL MEANING of Christmas! We have all been given the greatest GIFT EVER...JESUS CHRIST!!! We need to focus on HIM!!

BTW, ghost running is just what you stated in your comment on my blog! LOL Have a wonderful day my friend!!

That corgi :) said...

That is so true, Ma, to make fewer commitments and keep them then make lots and keep nothing. That is a good reminder too with the holidays coming up and lots more that will want to be done to celebrate them!

enjoy the day!

betty

Scrappy quilter said...

I agree too. How many times do we promise our kids we will do something with them and we don't. How many times do we promise someone we will be there for them and we fail. As to the holidays, it's one thing I don't stress about. I just go with the flow...it's about Jesus, not about what's on our dinner plate or what gifts are under the tree. This year it's all homemade. We have set ourselves a goal of saving a specific amount of money in two years and we won't sway from it. Even our decorations are going to be homemade along with the few Christmas cards I send out. Hope your day is a good one. Hugs

TARYTERRE said...

We used to travel alot because of my husband's job. We were always on the road. Frost's quote, "And miles to go before I sleep," always held a special place in my heart because of it. I need to get myself in gear before the holidays but I'm stressing out about it. Too much to do. Have to get this under control and quickly before it ruins things. Take care. Good post, as always.

jack69 said...

Thanks, such a good entry and great thoughts. I love that poem by Frost. On the trail when hiking one of the guys had a trail name of 'Miles to Go'. He said his mama read that poem to him so many time growing up that it has always stuck.
Thanks again.

jack69 said...

I think my comment go on, but I was tearing up a little as I read the poem. It means a lot to me.

I forward your blog to a son who really need this, Thanks.

Kath said...

I don't commit myself now Ma.I try not to stress either,like Holly states.I now explain to family and friends what my situation is and they have accepted this.Things get done in my time now and what doesn't doesn't.They are thankful for small mercy's,and that their Mum and friend is still with them and in reasonably decent health.Take Care God Bless Kath xxx