It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Chapter 10, Page 18, Book 11


TERRIFIC 2'S TUESDAY/ It's all about the light


Lighting a candle is a symbol; Of love and hope, Of light and warmth. Our world needs them all

In the time before there were electric lights on our city streets, a person would have the responsibility of being the lamplighter and lighting the gas lamps at dusk and extinguishing them before dawn. Going down one street and up another, he would have people watching him doing his work. They would watch him until the sun went down and could not see him any more. But they could see new light come forth

The way we care for other people, the way we affirm and encourage them, is our way of being a lamplighter.

The ideals which have lighted my way, and time after time have given me new courage to face life cheerfully, have been Kindness, Beauty and Truth. 

Albert Einstein

 Time will fall back to standard time again on Sunday, November 6.  A few years ago, lawmakers shifted the schedule slightly, setting the changeover for the first Sunday of November rather than the last Sunday of October. The goal was to extend the energy savings that are thought to result from daylight saving time.

This year I'm going to be celebrating Fall Back weekend to mark the end of daylight saving time and get a glorious extra hour of sleep.  It won't be just another lazy Sunday, but it'll be  a celebration of rest and relaxation.   More eloquently, it'll be about unplugging in order to recharge. 

I read about someone on line that celebrated for the entire weekend, but I'll only be celebrating on Sunday, November 7th.

Participating in Fall Back Sunday is easy to do and here is what I have planned.  Because of that fact that once Fall Back begins, you're not allowed to leave the house, I'll need to hit the grocery store for junk food and my favorite treats.

I'll also need to stack up the books I've been wanting to read and haven’t had time for.  I'll also be making a deliciously indulgent dinner. Eat said dinner in my pajamas. Commence with the laziness.

It sounds just great doesn't it.  I'll let you know how it all works out on Monday,  November 7th.  If you'd care to join me you can let me know in the comments on the 7th and tell about how you celebrated Fall Back Sunday.

That is my 2 for this Tuesday.

Have a terrific day everyone!

'On Ya'-ma

7 comments:

Barbara said...

I do remember the street lamp lighters here as a child. They were gas lamps.

Our clocks go back end of October. I would prefer staying on summer time.

LYN said...

I love candles..especially this time of year...

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Junk Food....jammies....books....maybe throw in a little football....sounds great to me..!!

Enjoy

TARYTERRE said...

Isn't it sad we take LIGHT for granted. The story of the Lamplighter is a good one. I bet it was quite a sight to see, back in a time when such things had a sense of wonder. I love the night-time, so the clocks switching back doesn't bother me. I think I'll celebrate Fall-Back Day like you, curled up on the sofa with a steaming cup of apple cider and a good book.

Jean said...

I never thought of celebrating this give me an idea and what a wonderful thing to do. I'll let you know how mine turns out. Take care and I hope you have a great day. Jean

jack69 said...

Some folk will look for any excuse to CELEBRATE!!!LOL

I'm with the Boomer in her comment:

(JunkFood....jammies....books ....maybe throw in a little football....sounds great to me..!!)


Hope your day is good, love your attitude.
Love sent from Florida!

Dad said...

Hi Maw
your blog is so interesting, keep up the good work for us.

DAD