It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, September 08, 2011

Chapter 9, Page 8, Book 11



O God, I thank You for this day of life for eyes to see the sky for ears to hear the birds for feet to walk amidst the trees for hands to pick the flowers from the earth for a sense of smell to breathe in the sweet perfumes of nature for a mind to think about and appreciate the magic of everyday miracles for a spirit to swell in joy at Your mighty presence everywhere.

Author Unknown


THANKFUL THURSDAY

It's that time of the week once again where I get to let you all know what I'm thankful for.

I'm thankful for Fall

With Autumn comes a gentle decline from Summer’s intensity.  The things that heat up in Summer begin to fade as Autumn slows things down a bit.  How appropriate we also call this season Fall. A gradual decline.  Life begins to cool down, become gentler and more laid back.  Like the leaves, life’s intensity begins to fall as well.  Summer vacations, Summer jobs, and Summer flings come to a close.  We even lose an hour of daylight in Autumn; and gain an hour of darkness.  See your own private use of that hour as your own celebration of the season.

The colors of Autumn are like a blaze of glory, all peaking at Summer’s end.  All Summer long, the greenery took in the light and warmth of the Summer sun.  At the end of the season, colors explode into an array of fiery reds and golden yellows. 

Some of my favorite Fall things:

Traditions
Cooler weather
Carving pumpkins
Colorful foliage
Soup and cornbread
Baking, particularly pumpkin anything {cheesecake, pancakes, and pies, oh my!}
Cozy sweaters
Jeans with flip-flops before it gets too cold for open-toed shoes
Better hair days due to lower humidity
Apple cider
Smell of burning wood {bonfires!}
Trick-or-treaters
Thanksgiving family gatherings
Hot toddies
Daylight savings {I love that extra hour}

I am grateful for what I am and have. 

My thanksgiving is perpetual... 
O how I laugh when I think of my vague indefinite riches. 
No run on my bank can drain it 
for my wealth is not possession but enjoyment.
Henry David Thoreau
The season ahead is going to be another cause for many celebrations.  I hope you'll join me today celebrating THANKFUL Thursday!

'On Ya'-ma

5 comments:

jack69 said...

I am with you on the thanKful things for Fall or what you like about fall. I too like the autumn colors, but we leave too soon to enjoy them except in pictures.

That corgi :) said...

soup and cornbread! Now that sounds delicious and a good fall dinner!! I like how you described fall, Ma; a gradual decline! Lots to look forward to with fall activities in the days ahead!

betty

TARYTERRE said...

You are so right... as Summer fades, Autumn arrives to bring us 'a gentler and more laid back' season. It's my favorite. I LOVE all the colors of the fall, too... plus pumpkins and most everything you mentioned.

Kath said...

What a lovely autumn colour for your background on your blog Ma.I love it.Yes I like the Autumn weather and all the Autumn colours are favourites of mine.It passes far too quickly and we all know what comes next Brrrr.Lets hold onto Auntumn as long as possible.Lovely post I realy enjoyed it.Take care God Bless Kath xx

JCWillow99@gmail.com said...

wonderful things to be thankful for. I am buying a pumpkin to bake this weekend.