It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, September 05, 2011

Chapter 9, Page 5, Book 11





Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars


Henry Van Dyke

MERRY MONDAY

Due to the fact that we had mostly rain all day on Sunday, I had plenty of time to think about what I'd write about today

It's Labor Day here, which is a day to rest from our labors and I think to also celebrate the work we do.

All of us, even retired people like me, do have some kind of work to do.  It's a great feeling to be able to do things that matter to you.  I often pray for the elderly in our society that really cannot do much of anything.

I used to visit one of our church members in a nursing home and if you've never been to one of those, it is an eye opener.  The lady I visited was unable to see much or hear much and spent most of her days in a wheel chair or in bed.  I knew her before she'd become that way and it was sad to see how she'd become nothing but a shell of her former self.  

Age does have a way of doing that to us sometimes.  It made me realize that I have to do what I can while I can, because some day I too could be just like her.
Being fit and well is a true blessing that most folk don’t fully appreciate until they lose it.  Treasure your health.

Think about all the stuff you would be forced to miss out on without good health.  Squeeze every drop of benefit from being fit and well, right now while you can. The day will arrive, sooner or later, when you’ll need to slow down.  You might end up wishing you’d done a lot more while you were able.

A job is what we do for money; work is what we do for love.

 Marysarah Quinn

I have slowed down, but I can still do just about everything, it just takes me longer.
I'm happy to say there is life in me yet to work, to play, and I can still look up and see the stars.  All these blessings make for a MERRY Monday here at my house.

I hope today is a MERRY one for you too!  Celebrate the work we can still do.

HAPPY LABOR DAY!

'On Ya'-ma 

7 comments:

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Happy Labor Day..!!
100% chance of rain here today, tomorrow and the next day.....

Enjoy

Hollie said...

Slowing down sounds wonderful to me! The time to really enjoy & appreciate the things that really matter!

have a wonderful Labor Day! It's raining here & we are loving it! It's been ove a month since we got rain! Thank You LORD!!!

jack69 said...

Age is an equalizer. I had two wonderful sisters in law. One Rich and the other poor but happy. In their 80's they ended up in the same nursing home. Both gone now, life goes on.
I have had so much fun with your yesterday's quote. 'Start all over again' Fred A. and Ginger R.

Sherry reminded me the twins would sing that when they were small. Now, thankfully, one is doing just that, and doing a great job of dusting himself off.
Thanks for jogging a sweet memory.

peggy said...

I often say "this is a lot of work" but when it comes right down to it, it's like you say, aren't we thankful we can still do it. I'm slow but I still get it done in time.

TARYTERRE said...

Years ago I worked in a nursing home. I was responsible for twelve patients from 7-3 each day. It is an eye opener to those that have never been inside one. I still have alot of life left in me to do what has to get done.

Buttercup said...

I'm so with you as I look to retire from my job. Really want to make these years meaningful and make a contribution to the world around me. Hugs and blessings!

That corgi :) said...

I think a lot of people had rain over this Labor Day weekend; we weren't forecast for it (a mere 20% chance) and got a few showers throughout the night and today. Sometimes having a rainy day is good for thinking like you were doing yesterday, Ma. I do agree to try to stay as active as possible for as long as possible as we age. Yet at the same time, we need to realize we are slowing down and allow others to help us for those things we might need extra assistance for. A balancing act indeed on aging gracefully and with dignity and respect.

betty