It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Chapter 9, Page 20, Book 11



The ornaments of your house will be the guests who frequent it.  

Author Unknown


TERRIFIC 2's Tuesday

Hospitality and Having ALL We Need.


When I hear the word HOSPITALITY  I think of June Cleaver: an incredibly sweet, well-put together woman whose house is always in tip-top shape, and who is ready, able, and willing to serve any and all guests, even if they might be surprise ones.  

Some of my fondest memories as a child were dinners at my grandmother’s house. I can recall the smell of the home cooked meals she’d prepare with love, the conversation around the dining table, and my grandmother’s deep satisfaction of watching her family gather together.  She cared about making her guests feel welcome

We all want our homes to be a place where delicious food and much laughter abound.  We enjoy making all who enter feel welcomed loved and refreshed.

Most days I'm lucky to get a simple casserole on the table before bedtime, and no, the house will not be spotless but I hope that guests will feel welcome at my house anyway!  I love company and enjoy the time spent with others.  Most people to do not visit in order to see your house,  they come to see YOU.

Sometimes it’s hard to remember that we really do have everything we need. When change comes and stress builds,  we feel like there are so many expectations being placed on us.  It’s easy to start to panic and think that we can’t make it through with the resources we have. Once we survive the rough times, though, we can easily see that God is there, satisfying every need we have.

If you are like me you even have more than is needed.  I have a house full of stuff that is no longer wanted by anyone or used by anyone.   Clearing out things around my house is an on going project.  On going because I rarely want to do it.   I simply don't relish going through everything and tossing it out.  

You've probably heard of the Law of Attraction.  Well all sorts of thingama jigs and do dads have attracted their way right to my house.  

Seriously though, I really do believe that when we pray for our daily bread that is what we receive.  I am blessed to have everything I need each day.  I'm not talking about a fancy house, or a new car, or designer clothing.  I'm talking about the basics.  Food, clothing, shelter and a 10 year old car.

I know that everything I have is a gift from God and I'm satisfied with what I have and have no high hopes for anything super sized.  Now if I can get rid of some of the extras, I'll really have only what I need.  

Have a TERRIFIC Tuesday!

"On Ya' - ma

10 comments:

That corgi :) said...

So true, Ma, that people come to your house to see you and could care less about how "messy" the house might be. They want good fellowship and your company! Maybe my next decluttering post will help you part with some things you don't need, it is hard though to decide what to keep, what to give, etc. And if there are other things you would rather be doing, then that makes it harder too, I think!

have a good Tuesday!

betty

peggy said...

I feel like you about clearing out, somehow when one thing goes, another comes along. But I too am thankful and amazed at the things that come to me. June and our grandmothers and mothers focused on fulfilling the needs of others. I'm trying, but sometimes feel like I'm not doing a very good job; however I'm quite sure they also felt that way and we don't remember that at all. Best wishes this Tuesday.

Scrappy quilter said...

So true. I'm blessed too. I have all I want and will ever need and I'm so thankful for that. We simplified bigtime when we moved to a much smaller home. I love small space living and I'm so thankful for it. Hope you have a wonderful day. Hugs

TARYTERRE said...

"It’s easy to panic and think that we can’t make it through with the resources we have." That's where I found myself when my husband recently lost his job. But the truth is we have enough to get by. It'll be less than we've ever lived on before. But we'll do it, one day at a time. Meanwhile, like you, I'm starting to clear the house of all those things that have accumulated. Some will be sold on ebay and others will be donated to the local thrift store. It feels good to get a handle on it. Have a wonderful afternoon and evening.

Barbara said...

So right, people generally are not interested in how the house is kept but on the love they receive from their host.

A good clear out every January is my way of keeping down the clutter.

grammy said...

I have not cleaned my coop in a long time....lol
I have a friend with a house that is IMMACULATE. She always says it is a mess and it drives me crazy. Then I have rich friends that never invite people over...but they don't mind coming here... messy. I just clean what I can and invite them over anyway (o:

Jean said...

I keep a lot of stuff I don't need and want ever use when I go through it I always put it back to keep. This summer I really cleaned out and move a lot of stuff to the storage building most belong to my youngest son. When he left home he didn't take any of his things he has here and was stored in the closet in his room in storage boxes. Take care, Jean

Martha (MM) said...

I think you already know that agree 100 percent!I'm glad to know I have partners while walking this road of simplicity. Thank you for all your wonderful kind and supportive comments too :-)

Barb said...

Hello, dear one. This is one of your best entries. OOPS! I am always saying that to myself after reading your latest post. This one especially touched my heart because of my Johnny being on hospice now. Nothing centers your heart and mind on what matters as quickly as knowing death is soon to enter your house. The UP-SIDE? There is always one. The one that is getting my sweet husband, and our family through all this is remembering to focus on what is important. If our focus point is on the SON we'll find we have all we need, and that before we know it, the SUN is back, which is that inner peace and calm that exists when we have learned to accept what comes rather than resist it. You're such a lovely woman, MA, so caring and full of warmth and compassion. You have inspired me so many times, have helped me through many sad and painful moments in my life. Thank you.

Sonya said...

I miss my grandmother's so much. I've thought a lot about them this week. I really could use some advice from them. But I will seek God's advice and enjoy the red birds like my Grandma's did. Both of them. There is a spot in my back yard, near Cedar trees by the cemetary and the red birds are there. They sit on limbs close by and do not seem to be scared of me. I talk to them and they "chip chip" back. Yes, my grandmother's love are somewhere floating around those birds. I just feel it. I'm luck to have George who loves to cook to get a meal on the table. I like to cook too, but hardly get the chance. lol Not a bad problem though. I'd lose weight if I were cooking though. lol Have a great day.