It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, August 08, 2011

Chapter 8, Page 8, Book 11

It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is His faithfulness.

Lamentations 3:22,23


MERRY MONDAY

KNITTING brings me a sense of peace and renewal. Even though I only know a couple of basic stitches, I can knit any number of pieces. Though the particular pieces vary, the stitch I use doesn't. Once I have the number of stitches set on my needle, I can just knit away without having to think about what I am doing.

This past year I've been making birthday shawls for all the gals in my family and still have one for September and October to make then I'll have completed this years birthdays for the gals in my immediate family. I've loved spending time making something for them. It adds a personal touch to their birthday gifts and it's given me something to occupy my evenings which are often spent alone.

My knitting also takes me out of the world's hectic pace and into a time of peace. If you've never tried it I'd recommend as a wonderful way to spend your time.

I spend a lot of peaceful times in my life anymore. But I do remember the hectic days I had as a mom working and raising a family on my own too. I know how important it is to have peace in your home. After a long day at work, home has always been my refuge. Setting my alarm so that I could get up earlier than anyone else in the house allowed me some time to wake up slowly and indulge in some morning devotional time which always helped to start my day off better. If I missed my quiet time my day was never as good as it would have been otherwise.

I still have that time just for me. Sometimes I have more quiet time than I really need but continue to enjoy it.

My day has had a wonderful beginning. It's going to be a MERRY Monday at my house!

I hope your day is a MERRY one too.

'On Ya'-ma

5 comments:

peggy said...

I'm just checking with you this Monday morning, I've been pretty busy these last few days but I'm looking forward to a quiet week. I envy people who can knit. Be Merry, I will.

Jeannette said...

I bet your shawls are lovely. I used to knit lots of sweaters for all the family and crochet all sorts of things. Alas I can no longer do it as it hurts too much. Have a great week.

Pat MacKenzie said...

I always get up earlier than everyone else too - I love the peaceful quiet time in the morning.

Your girls are lucky to be getting knitted shawls for their birthdays. I'm sure love goes into every stitch. I knit occasionally - used to knit baby sweater sets before I was married and had quite a stash by the time I needed them.

It's a Merry Monday here too.

jack69 said...

One of my mama's favorite sayings when I got in her way was, "Go on, tend to your own knitting!"

Folks who knit, sew, etc, always amaze me. I saw a lady once in the hospital who was knitting while awaiting her appt. I guess it is a mind easing pass time and rewarding also.
From NC
Sherry & Jack

TARYTERRE said...

I can't knit myself. BUT years ago I paid a lady to teach both my daughters how to. They really had fun with it. I imagine it's very relaxing. And to get a homemade shawl or scarf makes you feel so special.