It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Sunday, August 07, 2011

Chapter 8, Page 7, Book 11

If I had my life to live over, I would start barefoot earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall. I would go to more dances. I would ride more merry-go-rounds and I would pick more daisies.

Nadine Stair


R and R Sunday


Dear God, help me to slow down and watch and share your daisies


If I had my life to live over, I'd pick more daisies.
I'd try to make more mistakes next time.
I would be sillier than I have been this trip.
I would relax, I would limber up.
I know very few things I would take seriously.
I would take more trips, travel lighter.
I would be crazier. I would be less hygienic.
I would take more chances.
I would climb more mountains, swim more rivers, and watch more sunsets.
I would eat more ice cream and less beets.
I would have more actual troubles and fewer imaginary ones.
You see, I am one of those people who live practically and sensibly and sanely, hour after hour, day after day.
Oh, I have had my mad moments, And if I had it to do over again,
I'd have more of them.
Just moments, one after another, instead of living so many minutes ahead.
I have been one of those people who never go anywhere
Without a thermometer, a hot water bottle, a gargle, a raincoat, and road map.
If I had my life to live over,
I would start barefooted earlier in the spring
and stay that way later in the fall.
I would ride more merry-go-rounds, and swing more.
I would do more water and sun-fun things.
I'd turn more somersaults, and roll in the grass, and go barefoot all over.
If I had my life to live over.
I'd spend more time at fun places.
I'd try to be more in touch with God and those I love.
I'd pray aloud more and not care what people think or expect of me.
I'd give more to me, and take more of you.
I'd just be me more and more....
Yes, I'd pick more daisies next time.

adapted


What would I do differently, if I could do it all over again? I know one thing for sure, I would have taken a lot more time, When I had a young family I thought I took time to spend many precious moments with them. I thought of ways to make their days happy ones and found lots and lots to do with them. But the years sped by before I knew it and now I wonder if I really did all I could have done.

Now I'm being given another chance and the time to spend time with my children and grandchildren. Many of my days are blessed with just that. Time is a gift we can give ourselves and to others.

This Sunday I hope you'll give yourself some of that precious time just to rest and relax and enjoy the day. Next week will be a busy one for me and for a lot of you too. So take the time to refresh yourself for the week ahead.

Today is a gift -- unwrap it. Maybe we would be happier if we tried a little harder and focused on all the good in our lives.

As always you are all in my thoughts and prayers.

'On Ya'-ma

5 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

If I could do it over again, I would take more time to spend with family too. Now that I'm older and have more time, so are they and they have their own lives. I can't look back and say "what if". It's too late. I would hope that everyone learns far quicker than I did. Hugs

Pat MacKenzie said...

I loved that poem. It's amazing how clear hindsight is. When we're busy raising our large families we forget to take enough time with each individual child and lump them all together and call them 'the kids'. Luckily, if we live long enough, we can spend more individual time with them and do things with our grandchildren that we didn't have time to do with our children.

A great post. Thanks.

Hollie said...

I'm enjoying my day no matter what I've got to do! I'm just thankful to have another day with my family & friends!

jack69 said...

Love this one Ma. Yeah if we could redo those years with the KIds, I would be even more involved in teaching, what I THOUGHT they were learning.
Love from down in the good old North state!

TARYTERRE said...

It's all so clear to me now. If I could re-live my life... First off, I would definitely take MORE chances. But do overs aren't possible, are they? So I'll spend MORE time in my old age... smelling the flowers and riding on merry-go-rounds.