It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, July 09, 2011

Chapter 7, Page 9, Book 11


Those that say you can't take it with you never saw a car packed for a vacation trip.

Author Unknown

With the summer season in full swing, you may be like me, gearing up for a vacation with family or friends. There’s no doubt that maintaining healthy habits while traveling can be tricky, especially with all the sugary, high-fat food options that confront you in airports, train stations, and roadside rest stops.

Try to pack a cooler with healthy lunch and snacks to eat along the way. Pack foods like whole-wheat crackers, reduced-fat cheese, baby carrots, celery sticks, fat-free yogurt, nuts, and perhaps some lean reduced-sodium ham or turkey slices to keep your blood-sugar levels balanced and hunger at bay.

Many major hotels and motel chains have a gym equipped with a treadmill, an elliptical machine, weights, or a pool, so take advantage. Or go outside and walk around exploring the turf if the neighborhood is safe. If your hotel doesn’t have a gym and there’s inclement weather, you could always climb the hotel stairs or even exercise in your room

When ordering dinner in a restaurant, ask to have dressings and sauces on the side; substitute steamed vegetables for white bread, potatoes, or rice; opt for grilled items over fried foods. Lastly, enjoy an occasional treat. You’re on vacation after all. I love it when I can share dessert with people. Many times I've ordered an ice cream sundae and two spoons.

Vacation: a period of travel and relaxation when you take twice the clothes and half the money you need.

Author Unknown

We'll be off tomorrow morning sometime and believe me when I say the car will be well packed. I'm traveling with DS#5, his wife, and our little Mr. Wonderful. I'll hopefully get a good connection with my wireless internet and be able to post each day as usual.

Please join me in saying a little prayer for a safe and happy trip for all. Most all of my family will be on the road this week as we travel to and from DS#2's celebration.

God's Angels guard and keep you
All the way that you must travel
Till earth's days are past
When blossoms fade and
Time is fleeting fast
In times of purest joy
Or pain and fear
God's Angels guard
And keep you safe.

I hope your Saturday is a SUPER one!

'On Ya'-ma

Saturday resolution: Remember even when life is hard, God gives us glimpses of hope.


4 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

I had to chuckle over the quote-"Those that say you can't take it with you never saw a car packed for a vacation trip." This really made me smile. It is so very true. Have a wonderful trip and celebration. GODSPEED. You'll be in my prayers.

jack69 said...

Those that say you can't take it with you never saw a car packed for a vacation trip. unquote
I had to laugh at that one, we have seen cars loaded to the gills as they passed us. yeah somefolk can take it with them, hahahahahahhahhahaha
Have a great weekend
Sherry & Jack down south

jack69 said...

Those that say you can't take it with you never saw a car packed for a vacation trip. unquote
I had to laugh at that one, we have seen cars loaded to the gills as they passed us. yeah somefolk can take it with them, hahahahahahhahhahaha
Have a great weekend
Sherry & Jack down south

That corgi :) said...

not sure if my last comment "took" or not, Ma. Blogger kicked me out while I was posting it.

I did say glad you are traveling with someone and I'm sure Mr. Wonderful will make a great traveling companion!

all great advice you gave about traveling and eating healthy along the way!

enjoy your visit!

betty