It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Chapter 7, Page 5, Book 11

If wrinkles must be written upon our brow, let them not be written upon the heart.

James A. Garfield


TERRIFIC 2'S TUESDAY!

I heard a report on the news that said scientists say the first person who will live to see their 150th birthday has already been born. And the first person to live for 1,000 years could be less than 20 years younger.

Exactly how far and how fast life expectancy will increase in the future is a subject of some debate, but the trend is clear. An average of three months is being added to life expectancy every year at the moment and experts estimate there could be a million centenarians across the world by 2030.

I don't think I have a choice in just how long I'll live, but it is true that on the average people are living much longer than they used to. Modern medicine has made a lot of difference. Truth be told I'm not so sure I'd be happy living to be that old, but still it isn't my choice to make. Some people think that they will live forever, but the truth is we don't.

Most of us have heard of the legendary tale about the Fountain of Youth. The Fountain of Youth was a spring that Spanish explorer Ponce de Leon, according to legend, went looking for in Florida in 1513. It was said that anyone who drinks from the Fountain would have his or her youth restored. Florida was thought to be the site of the Fountain of Youth because of native stories in the Caribbean of a restorative spring located north of the Bahamas. These native legends were combined with a popular story in Europe about a quest for a Fountain of Life. Legends about healing waters abound in cultures around the world.

In many ways we are still looking for the Fountain of Youth. Researchers and drug companies are searching for medications to make us live longer. Fad diets, supplements, and exercise routines all claim to extend life.

In the end, a healthy lifestyle, positive thinking and good relationships are our best bet for a long and happy life. My family, my faith and home are still what makes me happy in life. Maybe it will be a long one or not. I'm happy.

During the summer months, what is the one fruit that comes immediately to mind? Watermelon, of course! It is definitely one of my favorites. At picnics, barbecues, fairs, and farmstands, this juicy melon makes a great treat — whether it's tossed in a fruit salad or eaten right off the rind. Watermelon is a good source of beta-carotene and vitamin C

Did you know that watermelon also contains some anti aging benefits? Watermelon contains Citruline. Citruline is an amino acid that has anti-inflammatory effects. It has been shown to relax blood vessels and is sold as a performance enhancing athletic supplement due to its ability to reduce muscle fatigue.

Watermelon is a Source of Lycopene. Lycopene is a potent antioxidant and is responsible for the red color of red-fleshed watermelon. Lycopene can help to eliminate free radicals from the body. Free radicals are thought to exaggerate many of the visible signs of aging such as wrinkles and lines on the skin. Lycopene may also help to guard against conditions such as heart disease, cancer and diabetes.

Eating watermelon will help keep you hydrated in a way that might be more palatable than drinking plain water. Keeping yourself hydrated helps to maintain collagen production, which promotes firm, youthful skin and a healthy body.

Take advantage of this summer fruit by including it in your diet regularly and reap the cosmetic and health benefits.

There you have it my 2 for this Tuesday - Age and watermelon


Have a Terrific Tuesday everyone!

'On Ya'-ma

Tuesday resolution: focus on your spiritual being from the inside out.

4 comments:

jack69 said...

I knew there was a reason I loved watermellon!!!!
Yes, the world seems to be looking for the fountain of youth.

have a great Two's Tuesday up there.
Jack & Sherry, down here in NC

We just made a lot of our winter reservatins as some of Florida's state parks, maybe the fountain of youth is at Rainbow Springs State Park, I hope so.!

That corgi :) said...

I like that resolution Ma! So many of us concentrate on the external and forget the internal.

Yum with watermelon; thanks for sharing the facts about it and why it is a great summer treat!

I'm with you about not wanting to live to be toooo old especially if it came with a lot of sicknesses, illnesses, etc. I like how the Bible says the span of man, describing it 70, 80 if they are lucky. But you are right, how long we live is in God's timing and plans not ours!

enjoy Tuesday!

betty

Hollie said...

Very intersting entry! I loooove watermelon. I have two laying in the kitchen floor at the moment! Mmmmm I didn't realize how good for me they are! Thanks for sharing this entry! I hope you had a wonderful fourth!

Barb said...

Watermelon is my favorite thing to eat, especially during the summer.
Regarding how long we live; only God knows the answer to that one. I don't waste my time wondering about things like that. I prefer to enjoy life, to participate, not simply be a spectator. Thanks for another wonderful post.You're terrific!