It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Chapter 6, Page 8, Book 11

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it.

Russel Baker

WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY!

I've been hearing about the hot weather that lots of folks have been experiencing and here in northern Ohio it has finally heated up too. We are to have 90 degree weather here the next couple of days so I thought I share some tips for keeping cool with you all today.

We waited all winter for the warmth to return, and now it has and with a vengeance. I flip on the air conditioner to keep the house cool. The A/C is great, until you get your next electricity bill. When the bill arrives in the mail, your temperature will go right back up. We don't realize how expensive air conditioning can be!

I keep my thermostat set at about 77-78 degrees to help cut the cost. I don't want to be cold, I just want to be comfortable. The filters on an air conditioning system collect dirt, clogging them up and choking off the air supply to the rest of the house. Filters should be cleaned once every couple months to ensure that all of the work the A/C compressor does gets shared with the rest of the house. Filters are cheap so I change mine every month.

The sun is a major contributor of heat to the interior of your house, especially when it comes in through the windows. Just like a greenhouse, the light enters through the windows and creates heat, which is then trapped by the glass panes. Shutting the blinds in the morning while the house is still cool keeps the light and heat out.

I also run ceiling fan to create a cool breeze. If you raise your thermostat by only two degrees and use your ceiling fan, you can lower cooling costs by up to 14 percent.

The roof of your house is the part that catches much of the sun’s energy. Sunlight strikes the roof and is absorbed as heat. This heats up your attic, and the attic radiates the heat downward into the rest of your house. It is important, therefore, to keep the attic as cool as possible by adding a ventilation fan or making sure that there is the correct amount of insulation between the attic and your ceiling.

Dress lightly and be sure to drink lots of fluids, especially water. Drinking cool water cools you down and helps your body regulate its temperature. Of course, so does eating ice cream…

Keep safe and cool this summer. I plan on spending lots of lazy days in the shade.

Have a WONDERFUL Wednesday everyone!

'On Ya'-ma

Wednesday Resolution: Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.

6 comments:

BlueRidge Boomer said...

I vote for the ice cream part...!!!

Enjoy

peggy said...

hi there, good advice this morning. I have one of those attic exhaust fans that comes on automatically. It is the best..if you can get one, you'll be glad you did.

Oh yeah I had ice cream yesterday...actually twice! .

That corgi :) said...

we are still in our cool June gloom weather (cloudy days) but I liked all your tips, Ma. We don't have air conditioning here so I'm sure we'll be using many of them in the days ahead when our hot weather descends upon us! Stay cool!

betty

TARYTERRE said...

GREAT tips for living with the heat. I keep my blinds closed during the day for the exact reason you mentioned. Enjoy the sunshine.

Ally Lifewithally said...

We never seem to get it as hot as you do ~ but I appreciate your tips on keeping cool ~ Ally x

jack69 said...

Some great advice and common sense as usual.

The old house we bought has a 'whole house' attic fan that I was sure we would not use, BUT we certainly have. the A/C hasn't been on since I leaned how to 'turn it off' hahaha. The fan keeps the house extremely comfortable.

Thanks