It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Chapter 6, Page 23, Book 11

Life brings you great and wonderful gifts each day. Be aware, be appreciative, and be willing to make the best use of every one.

Ralph Marston

THANKFUL THURSDAY

Maybe you taught your children to say this simple mealtime prayer at the dinner table. Perhaps your parents taught it to you as your first prayer:

God is great; God is good.
Let us thank Him for our food.

That simple prayer reminds me this week about food and air, friends and work, sunshine and rain. All are blessings we did not create. It is good to recognize them as gifts and to be thankful

I think that if you believe that a God of love is with you at all times, you'll see that your life is full of good things. Today is a day when we celebrate God's generosity for giving us an abundance of blessings.
That is not to say that bad things don't happen at my house, they often do, but thankfully there is more good than bad and those are the things I think about and write about - especially on Thankful Thursday. Even the bad things are a blessing in disguise sometimes. We never know when what we thought was terrible will turn out to be a blessing.

June is more than half way over but I'd be remiss in being thankful for those that were born in my family this month. DD and DS#3 both celebrated their birthdays this past week and although I wasn't with either of them to celebrate but I sent both my good wishes. Having a large family is a blessing, but it also has it's down times when you don't see them often at all. It does make me more thankful for the times we can be together.

We remembered too, the birth of my little Pumpkin, who would have celebrated his 5th birthday this year. Such a sweet little boy who will always be remembered with love. We were blessed to have him in our lives even if it was for such a short time.

Porch swings, picnics, going to the swimming pool and walks around the hill where we camp are all amazing things that I'm thankful for. I've only been able to enjoy just a few weekends at the camper this year, but I am thankful for those.

Being literate is a gift that is too often gone unappreciated. Albeit the rates of literacy rates of the world have risen significant since the dawn of time, there are still many countries and areas where people don’t have the sufficient tools to become literate and thus are one of the underprivileged and unfortunately illiterate beings that we have on this planet. Make no mistake about it, being able to read and write is a gift and one that we can all be thankful for. I do love to read.

My health is without a doubt the one of the most important things I am thankful for. Nothing is guaranteed in life except for death and taxes and it’s surprising to me how many people take death as a negative connotation. Fearing death can actually be a good thing, for it will allow you to be thankful for your health and live each day as if it’s your last.

Siblings are so under-appreciated and we should strive to change that. In the time of need, the people that you can most count on won’t be your friends. It’ll be your siblings. They’re the ones that will stick by your side through the thick and thin. Love them and make sure you let them know that your thankful they’re in your lives.

Anything that you can survive without is luxury, so I'm grateful for the hot showers, the warm bed, the nice house, the iPod, the laptop, and all the other materialistic items that consume my life. Whether you realize it or not, we're a select few who have been blessed with these things that others don’t get to experience so be thankful for them as much as you can

For every day and in every way I am thankful for all my many blessings.

I hope your Thursday is one in which you can be THANKFUL too.


'On Ya'-ma

Thursday resolution: Reflect on the gifts and talents that God has given you. If you make others happy, you will be happier yourself.

4 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

Sorry to hear you haven't been able to go camping as much as you'd like. The simple joy of being outside with the elements is so rewarding, I know. We get so caught up with the materialistic comforts we have that it's easy to forget the simple pleasures.

jack69 said...

I believe that simple truth you ended with, You are happier if you make folks happy!
Love from North Carolina

That corgi :) said...

happy birthday to all June birthdays in your household, Ma. I liked this entry of yours; it really spoke to my heart; we really do have lots to be thankful for and nothing we have comes by us but what God gives us including the talents he gives us to earn a living, house we live in, etc. All things come from him and he truly does love us so very much. Even in the hard/bad times he is always with us! I like that!

always great to read what you are thankful for!

betty

Linda :) said...

Happy Birthdays All Around!! Hubby and my birthday are in June also... I have started a new trilogy by Nora Roberts: Blue Dahlia... I just love her trilogies...
Happy Thankful Thursday! :)