It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Friday, June 17, 2011

Chapter 6, Page 17, Book 11

Before I begin today's post I must once again apologize to any of you if you've receive the bogus emails that were sent out with my name on them. I'm so sorry for any inconvenience. My email account was hacked into and I fear that many received these SPAM emails. I was very upset when this happened and hope it has been corrected.

Anyway here it is FANTASTIC FRIDAY!

Fridays are most always great days for me and though I'm no longer working the memories of how good it felt to have another work week come to a close remain.

This week was a good one all the way round until I let myself become very upset over having my email account hacked into so today I decided I would look for ways to prevent that from ever happening again.

This is what I found:

Email hacking is becoming a common problem of web users. As more people have become dependent on the internet for almost everything they need, a vast amount of sensitive information is now within reach of unscrupulous individuals known as hackers.

Change your password.
If you learn that your email has been hacked, change your password immediately. Choose one that won’t be guessed easily.

Choose a password that cannot be easily guessed.
Many people use easy-to-guess passwords such as their own names with their birthdates at the end, which is very easy for hackers to crack. It’s best to combine upper case and lower case letters along with numbers and symbols such as the ampersand, dollar or percent sign.

Delete all accounts that you have not been using for a long time.
Hackers love to get into email accounts that you don’t use anymore, since it takes a longer time for you to realize that you’ve been hacked giving the hacker more time to do damage.

Avoid giving your email address to every website that asks for it.
Give your email address only to people and organizations that you trust. Some websites exist only to sending out malware or spyware. Think twice before you provide your email address to websites that you browse.

The internet has certainly made life a lot more convenient but unfortunately, it’s also made it easier for hackers so you must be vigilant. Take all necessary precautions so that your email account is always secure.

I hope to have solved the problem, but if not, I'll have to take further measures...like closing the account. I hope that doesn't happen but we'll see...

I am try to have a FANTASTIC Friday here at my house and hope it's a FANTASTIC Friday for you too.

'On Ya'-ma

Friday resolution: Don’t be quick to pass judgment on a stranger or even a friend today

6 comments:

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Thanks for all the great info....
Have a super weekend!!
Enjoy

That corgi :) said...

thanks for the info, Ma! I am sorry it did happen to you; I know it has happened to several other people this week that I know. I hadn't changed my password in years but did it about two months ago, glad I did! I think I'll make it a habit of changing it monthly or so. I know for work, I have to change it every 90 days. I also went through my address book and deleted a lot of addresses. I found on AOL that I had (or it was set up and I never changed it) marked to automatically save any email address that I received from anyone, companies, etc. So I deleted all those and changed the setting to not automatically keep email addresses. Hopefully that will help too! I do have one account I hardly use, I need to do some work on that one. Thanks for that reminder!

hope you have a good weekend!

betty

jack69 said...

good advice and info. Once burned!!!

Yeah, it is sorta like someone breaking into your house, just not as tramatic. Just entering YOUR private area.

Have a great time, hope the weather is cooperating up there.

TARYTERRE said...

This was GREAT advice and much appreciated. Sometimes we take our email accounts for granted, don't we? I hope your problems are fixed. I know how frustrating it can be. A similiar thing happened to me a while ago.

Linda :) said...

Yes I did get one of those emails... so sorry this happened... I'm sure it's all sorted out now as I haven't received any more.... :)

Buttercup said...

I am so sorry about your email problems. I appreciate the good advice and will be spending some time this weekend going over my email practices. There's lots for me to do here. Hope you're having a good weekend.