It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Chapter 5, Page 3, Book 11

Do not squander time for that is the stuff life is made of.

Benjamin Franklin


Terrific 2's Tuesday

When Benjamin Franklin was 20 years old, he wrote up a 13-point plan for how he would live his life. He found that following the plan increased his happiness so much that he kept it up for the rest of his life

He committed to giving strict attention to one virtue each week so after 13 weeks he moved through all 13. After 13 weeks he would start the process over again so in one year he would complete the course a total of 4 times.

1. Temperance: Eat not to dullness and drink not to elevation.

2. Silence: Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself. Avoid trifling conversation.

3. Order: Let all your things have their places. Let each part of your business have its time.

4. Resolution: Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve.

5. Frugality: Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself: i.e. Waste nothing.

6. Industry: Lose no time. Be always employed in something useful. Cut off all unnecessary actions.

7. Sincerity: Use no hurtful deceit. Think innocently and justly; and, if you speak, speak accordingly.

8. Justice: Wrong none, by doing injuries or omitting the benefits that are your duty.

9. Moderation: Avoid extremes. Forebear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.

10. Cleanliness: Tolerate no uncleanness in body, clothes or habitation.

11. Chastity: Rarely use venery but for health or offspring; Never to dullness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.

12. Tranquility: Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.

13. Humility: Imitate Jesus and Socrates.


What a great way to live your life. I recently saw an article about his daily schedule too and on that he began and ended his day with the question: What good he could do or did that day. His food and wine-drinking habits led him to be plagued with the gout for much of his life. But still, the positive intentions were there.

We need to realize that no one is perfect. For example, these thirteen virtues imply that you must be extremely diligent and hardworking. But remember the saying in Poor Richard's Almanack that all work and no play make John a dull boy, so you can overdo things too.

He also made a daily resolution. By making a daily resolution we can make every day a New Year’s day! We can decide, Today I will do this . . . Today I will do that. Each day we can measure our life by trying to a little better and by deciding to follow God’s will. No grand plans. No specific system. Just a few doable goals and the knowledge that the next day is a New Year.

I like the idea that this could lead to daily reflection on what I have accomplished and what I need to accomplish. Each day will be like New Year’s Eve…but without the confetti and hoopla.

My Tuesday resolution: I will recognize and respond to those who are feeling stressed, depressed or just having a bad day with offers of help and support and to also find creative ways to rediscover the things that make life enjoyable

That's my 2 for this Tuesday: Thirteen point plan and a daily resolution

I hope these tips help to make this a TERRIFIC Tuesday!

'On Ya'-ma

4 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

I think this thirteen point plan and a daily resolution is an excellent idea.

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Enjoy your Tuesday....hope you get to go camping soon.....we may have snow tomorrow...yikes!!!

Kath said...

I have tried the daily resolution recently Ma and it seems to be working well for me so far.Today I went out alone for the first time in months,quite an achievement for me and I had a grand shopping day treating myself to new clothes and shoes.I felt I owed it to MEEEE for a change."Happy Birthday "to your beautiful Angel,and a big Thankyou from me too to all teachers around the World.I hope Angel has a Terrific Tuesday and you too.Take Care God Bless.Kath xx

That corgi :) said...

I like those 13 resolutions he did, Ma, that would be a good habit to get into, also a daily resolution too! All great advice for this Terrific Tuesday!

betty