It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Chapter 5, Page 24, Book 11

Terrific 2's Tuesday!

Kitchen Prayer


God bless my little kitchen,

I love its every nook,

And bless me as I do my work,

Wash pots and pans and cook,


And may the meals that I prepare,

Be seasoned from above

With Thy great Blessing

And Thy Grace

But most of all Thy Love.


On the wall above my kitchen sink hangs a plate with a kitchen prayer much like the one above. It was given to me years ago when I spent a lot of time in the kitchen. When you think about the times spent in the kitchen, most of them are good times. Now that I don't cook a lot for just me, most my time spent there is when I'm making something for family gatherings. This coming weekend I'll be making a huge bowl of potato salad to share with the members of my family that will be camping. I love potato salad and would never fix it for just me.

We won't be cooking anything fancy as we plan on having a relaxing weekend so for the most part we'll be dining on hamburgers and hot dogs. I love them done outside on the grill and I thought the potato salad would be the perfect accompaniment.

The kitchen is a place of happy times and where memories are made. I've found that one key to happiness is to make sure you always have something to look forward to, whether it’s Friday night trips to the theater, or lunch with your kids, etc. Make a point of setting up particular events that happen on specific days.

Plan get-togethers and holiday parties. Lining up the menu, practicing new desserts, buying decorations, and generally planning the whole affair will give you plenty of things to look forward to and get excited about. This past weekend we were planning the coming holiday weekend and even what kind of crafts we'd be doing. Grand'ma' always has to have a craft for everyone to do.


We decided to make treasure boxes. We'll be decorating old shoe boxes to put some sort of treasure found at the campsite though out the camping season. It could be a rock, a flower, or a leaf. There are all sorts of treasures to find there.

Then when the campers are closed up for the winter we can look inside our Treasure Boxes and remember all the fun times we had.

That's my two for this Tuesday: A Kitchen Prayer and our Memorial Day Plans

I hope your Tuesday is a TERRIFIC one!

'On Ya'-ma

Tuesday resolution: Take a step toward achieving a long-term goal in your life.

9 comments:

Ally Lifewithally said...

May your Tuesday be a blessed one for you and yours ~ Ally x

Hollie said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend coming up! I love the treasure box idea!

TARYTERRE said...

Love the poem. How special. I think the kitchen is the heart of any home. The treasure box sounds like a wonderful idea. I collect rocks, myself. Hope you have a fun filled weekend. Memorial Day is my birthday, so surprises await me.

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Love the Treasure Box idea...!!
Enjoy your holiday....

That corgi :) said...

those treasure boxes sound like a good idea Ma! And indeed somethng to look back on in the winter months! Yum on potato salad, I haven't had homemade in awhile, I'm sure yours is delicious!! Kitchens are big parts of the fun times of life, I do agree. It seems no matter what, we always end up in the kitchen, no matter how big a person's house might be when surrounded by loved ones, family and friends!

betty

Scrappy quilter said...

What a fun idea!! Hope you have a wonderful Tues. Ours is going to be super busy. Hugs

Kath said...

What fun times you have Ma and lots of memories afterwards.I practically live in my kitchen .I always enjoy my time in the kitchen, better than anywhere else in the home.Even if I am not cooking,I can always find something to occupy me.If it's only watching the birds through the window LOL!!.Have a great week/end at your camper.Take care God Bless Kath xx

grammy said...

What a really great idea to make a treasure box... they will love it Grandma (o: Hope you have really nice weather. It is to cold to go camping right now...here...for this old lady anyway.
Enjoy your potato salad.

JCWillow99@gmail.com said...

sounds like a good idea. we all need something to look forward to.

+