It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Chapter 5, Page 12, Book 11

THANKFUL THURSDAY!


Even when you are continually thankful, there is always more for which to be thankful. Even when you know you have it good, you don’t ever fully know how good you have it.

Ralph Marston

Have you ever been sleeping soundly in bed, when a sharp pain seizes your leg and doesn’t let go. You’re left crumpled in a heap of hurt until it passes. I have and have also found out that if I have my banana every day, I don't have them.

Did you know: They are more likely to occur if you allow yourself to become dehydrated, or are deficient in minerals such as calcium and potassium. Irritated nerves can also be responsible for chronic muscle spasms. If you get a charley horse, either while exercising or at night, do not try to stretch the muscle at first. Depending on how tight the muscle is, you may tear the tissues and injure yourself. Instead, massage the area lightly with your fingers. Taking a hot bath or applying a hot compress can also help. Once the pain has passed, you may try to gently stretch the muscle.
I found those wonderful bananas, and they do make a difference. I must have a lack of potassium so I eat those bananas regularly. Today I'm sharing some tips for preventing leg painful leg cramps.

Stretch regularly, especially before and after exercising, and before bed.

Wear good, comfortable, supportive shoes.

Don’t overextend yourself. Whether working out or doing household chores, listen to your body and don’t push yourself beyond your capabilities.

Drink plenty of water on a regular basis. During workouts, or on very hot days, switch to a sports drink to replace electrolytes lost through your sweat.

Drink alcohol and coffee in moderation, as they can contribute to dehydration.

Eat foods that are rich in potassium and magnesium, such as whole grains, bananas, dates, raisins, apricots, cabbage, broccoli, citrus fruits, tomatoes, potatoes, corn, and fish.

Eat the recommended daily allowance of dairy products, such as milk and cheese, and talk to your doctor about whether you would benefit from a calcium supplement.

Make sure your bed sheets are loose. Tight-fitting sheets can forces the legs and feet into awkward positions.

Frequent muscle spasms can indicate a more serious underlying condition requiring advice from a doctor.

Thursday is the day I make my THANKFUL list.

I'm thankful that for a few days in a row now we have warmer and sunnier weather. It has been so nice to get outside. Every thing is bright and beautiful!

I'm thankful for the support and love of my family.

I'm thankful for my health and that of my family and friends too.

I'm thankful for the trip I'm making to visit with DS#4 and his family. I don't get to see them often enough and this is a real treat for me

I am thankful for bananas!

I'm thankful for these and all the many blessings I've received.

I do hope your Thursday is one you can be Thankful for too.

'On Ya'-ma


Thursday Resolution; Make time today to relax and listen to God.

6 comments:

Ora said...

Hey Ma...been there done that...and I truly try drink lotsa water...and of course the ever loving "banana"....and all the stretching etc advise....good stuff...now you take care...and have a beautiful day...hugs from KY

That corgi :) said...

I like your Thursday resolution, Ma; that is a good one to relax and take time to listen to God!

thanks for the tips about the muscle spasms, I do get them occasionally so it is good to know to drink fluids and foods rich in potassium to help prevent them!

how exciting for a visit with DS#4 and family! I know you will enjoy that so much!

betty

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Today i'm thankful that i'm me....according to Goggle that is...lololol

Enjoy

peggy said...

I know that pain!! And I saw my grandson experience one at age 13. I forced him to get up and walk, which is the only thing that ever helped me. As far as preventing one, you are right in all those things. I also put a bar of soap between the sheets at the foot of the bed. Crazy, I know. Who knows.

TARYTERRE said...

Isn't this interesting? I get leg cramps all the time. I'm definitely not dehydrated. I don't think I'm deficient in calcium and potassium, either? But I will try the bananas anyway.

grammy said...

Loved all of your tips (o:
The quote is so true....it is hard to know just how good we have it... well of course he said it much better than me.