It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Chapter 4, Page 6, Book 11

WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY!

Secret of Happiness

Unknown

A Chinese tale says that once, long ago, there was a household so happy that for nine generations none of its members had left it, except the daughters that marriage had taken away.

The fame of such domestic bliss reached the ears of the emperor. He sent an envoy to discover the secret.

The old father of the house, taking paper and brush, painted many characters, then handed his answer to the imperial envoy.

When the emperor unrolled the scroll, there was written three things to exercise every day:

Patience with circumstances,

Patience with others,

Patience with ourselves.


Sometimes we think there must be some secret to being happy. But the truth is so simple. To be happy and content with what we have and not to want what we don't have truly is the answer. In one of my morning devotionals earlier this week I was reminded that I'm not in charge of what others do. I'm in charge of trying to make sure that what I do is the right thing.


Living in the past is a dull and lonely business, looking back strains the neck
and causes you to bump into people not going your way

To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders

Until you make peace with who you are, you'll never be content with what you have

There is no such thing as the pursuit of happiness but there is the discovery of joy

And silence like a poultice, comes to heal the blows of sound

Peace is when time doesn't matter as it passes by

Grace is when God gives us what we don't deserve; Mercy is when God doesn't give us what we do deserve.

Lenten Tip for Today: never speak negatively of your neighbor, but have a word of comfort and forgiveness for all.

I do hope your Wednesday is a WONDERFUL one.

'On Ya'-ma

7 comments:

That corgi :) said...

I do like all your Lenten tips, Ma, but this one spoke to my heart. Wonderful advice you gave here, it is so true we can't change others or worry about tomorrow or dwell in the past. Again very timely advice!!

I hope whatever you do today it is a good day for you!

betty

Scrappy quilter said...

Oh how I love this post. So very true!! And your Lenten tip today is wonderful. Thanks for always sharing such positive thoughts and words of encouragement. It's always one of the first blogs I come to in the morning just to get lifted up. Hugs

Kath said...

I will try to take heed of some of these tips Ma.The others I do anyways.I enjoyed the read so much.I hope you have a Wonderful Wednesday.The sun is shining here and I have been in the garden already to tidy around,seems I cannot change.Having said that "Nearer Gods heart in a garden than anywhere else on earth" they say.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

jack69 said...

Gotta remember this one, one of the best in a long time:
Living in the past is a dull and lonely business, looking back strains the neck
and causes you to bump into people not going your way

You done good!
Love from up here Sherry & Jack

grammy said...

I like that...looking back strains the neck ( :
also...it is painful...but si true...we are NOT in charge of what others do (o:
Have a great Wednesday!

TARYTERRE said...

This is so true, especially in my life. "To be happy, you have to be content with what you have." Wonderful post.

Hollie said...

WONDERFUL, wONDERFUL, wONDERFUL! Thank you for sharing! I love these to sentences:

Until you make peace with who you are, you'll never be content with what you have

Grace is when God gives us what we don't deserve; Mercy is when God doesn't give us what we do deserve.