It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, April 18, 2011

Chapter 4, Page 18, Book 11

PSALM 51: 1-3
The Message

Generous in love -- God, give grace!
Huge in mercy -- wipe out my bad record
Scrub away my guild,
soak out my sins in your laundry
I know how bad I've been,
my sins are staring me down


MERRY MONDAY / Holy Week

Psalm 51 is my focus for this Monday of Holy Week, the week leading up to Easter. I read about praying the Psalms in another blog recently and it reminded me that it had been a long time since I'd done that. Years ago, in one of my Bible studies, we did just that and I loved it.

The Psalms are BOTH prayer and revelations about God, the perfect ideal soil for learning prayer.They teach us to hide nothing from God, but to bring all that is real into the only relationship that can bless the best and heal the worst in us. Don't just read them, pray them; say them from the heart.

I've started doing a daily entry on Starting the Day with a Psalm in my ON THE BRIGHT SIDE blog if you want to follow along.

I like using THE MESSAGE which is Eugene Peterson's translation of the Bible in Contemporary Language. I own at least 8 different Bibles. All are different translations, but basically say the same thing. I love to use all of them and often do just that. I can read one verse 8 different ways and gain a lot in the interpretations.

I always thought of this Psalm as begging for God's mercy. I thought it was all about remorse for sin and trying to make things right through prayer and sacrifice. As I read it now though, I think that it is also about JOY.

Give me back the joy of your salvation
Keep me strong by giving me a willing spirit

Psalm 51:12

So often Lord, I have forgotten the praise, and only utter the pleas. Sometimes the negative gets in my way of rejoicing. I pray that your JOY will always be a part of my life.

Joy is prayer
Joy is strength
Joy is love
Joy is a net of love by which you can catch souls

Mother Teresa

This week is all about leading up to Easter JOY. I love reading and praying the Psalms. They can help us come to know God's love and mercy.

Remember that JOY is found in every day. I do hope your Monday is a MERRY one!

Lamentations 3:22-24
The Message

God's loyal love couldn't have run out,
His merciful love couldn't have dried up.
They're created new every morning
How great your faithfulness!
I'm sticking with God ( I say it over and over)
He's all I've got left.


May your Monday be a MERRY one!

'On Ya'-ma

5 comments:

peggy said...

I will join you in doing this. Thanks.

Scrappy quilter said...

Beautifully written. One of my prayers lately has been to "restore the joy of my salvation". It seems I've forgotten it which I think it easy to do after being a Christian for over thirty years. Praying the psalms is a wonderful way to pray. You certainly can't go wrong in praying scripture. A neat way to do it is to add names of those who know as you pray them. Hope you have a wonderful Monday. It's a bit cloudy, not sure what the weather is going to be today. Hugs

That corgi :) said...

I'll have to check out your other blog, Ma. I so do enjoy the Psalms and I do pray them at times. Like you, I have come to discover they are filled with joy, filled with hope, filled with trust, filled with praise. Love songs at times to God. Awesome words indeed!!

Psalm 51 is a good one indeed! And I especially like Lamentations 3:22-24; we need to get that into our memory and remember God's mercies are new each day indeed!

betty

grammy said...

Great post.
I love the Message too.
I want to find one at a used book store. I have a new testament with TINY print. Makes me crazy.

TARYTERRE said...

The Psalms are good reading. Perfect for the season. May you find joy in everything you do.