It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Friday, April 15, 2011

Chapter 4, Page 15, Book 11



DON'T EVER GROW TOO OLD
Don't ever grow too old for birthdays,
Fun-things that you used to do,
Don't give up your dreams because you
Feel that they have not come true.
Don't forget the sound of laughter,
Or the love in someone's eyes,
Don't trade memories for pleasures,
All that in a moment dies.

Don't give up your zest for living,
Saying you are much too old,
Is this what you feel, or is it
Something that you have been told?
There's a valley deep within us,
Where there is an eternal Spring,
Where there is no sound of sorrow,
And the birds forever sing.

Though your gait is not as steady now,
As once it used to be,
And your vision's clouding over things
You used to clearly see,
Do not let the weight of decades,
Turn you into bitter gall,
For with age there comes a wisdom,
That is a blessing to us all.

Hold your years up like a banner,
Wave it brightly in the sun,
When folks tell you life is over,
Tell them it has just begun.
Loneliness can never touch you,
If you won't allow it to,
And in sharing love with others,
... God will give it back to you.
Author Unknown

Fantastic Friday

Aging...
Age should cause us to take in, appreciate and enjoy the world around us and those we come in contact with. Older people should stay a bit contemporary in thought while meshing wisdom with the reality of their age. Youth is fun and age is stability -- what a wonderful combination.

It is not my birthday but the birthdays of my two oldest sons this year remind me that I'm definitely getting older. The oldest will be 40 and the next down the line will be 39. I look back and remember just how really young I was at that age but to those having the birthdays it is often a time of big changes in their lives.

Age doesn't really matter at all to me. Life goes on from one day to the next and I try to live each one the very best I can. Life is more than just existing. It is more than just breathing. It is more than just slowly counting your birthdays while your body gets older and weaker. It has taken me many years of learning and growing, but I think that now I am finally beginning to understand what life is and what life isn't. We can choose a lifetime of love, joy, peace, happiness, goodness, delight, and oneness with God for ourselves.

I realize that whether I have 20 years, 20 days, or 20 minutes left I don't just want to let them pass me by. I want to truly live them.

Lenten Tip for Today:
Don’t put a question mark where God put a period
There have been some inquiries as to when I'm starting to camp this year. My little place on the hill in the woods is patiently waiting for me and me for it too. The weather just hasn't been cooperating and if it wasn't for the promise of all day rain tomorrow, I'd probably be leaving for there today. That and the fact that none of my family is going to be there deters me from thinking that I want to be there. It will be soon....I just don't know exactly when.
I hope that you too will truly live every day you get here. Live, laugh and enjoy life and have a FANTASTIC Friday!
'On Ya' - ma

8 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

I've embraced my old age with vigor and I'm proud of it. Loved the poem and everything you said today. Thanks for the wisdom. Hope you get to go camping soon.

Scrappy quilter said...

Age doesn't bother me now either although when I hit the age of 60 is did. Now it's just another day that I'm thankful for. Hope your weather improves quickly so that you can get out camping. We are suppost to get snow the next couple of days. Hugs

Hollie said...

I'm thankful for getting older! I feel as though I do appreciate people & things now...where when I was younger I honestly didn't!

Happy Birthday to your fellows!!!!

I know you can't wait to get to your little home away from home on the hill! I hope you will be able to go there very soon!

That corgi :) said...

I love the Lenten tip for today Ma! Definitely God's periods always mean something and we need to listen to them and not question his wisdom/will.

Happy birthday to your two sons! I think you are so wise in your advice on how you are choosing to live your life! Good words to think about today!

enjoy the day!

betty

Jean said...

Hi Ma, I hope the weather will be nice and you can go to your camper soon. Love the picture of your house, flowers, your poems, and your post. Take care. Jean

grammy said...

Really great thoughts (o:
20 years or 20 days or 20 minutes....live it (o:
Our children's BD's sure do remind us of the flying of time.

Ally Lifewithally said...

Happy Birthday to your Sons ~ and I loved the poem and everything else you have written for us today ~ Ally x

Kath said...

Happy Birthday to both your Sons Ma and many more of them.Yes time goes by so quickly.My Eldest son will be 43this year and it seems like only yesterday I was holding him new born.As I get older 65 myself in August,I am thankful for every moment of every day no matter what the day brings.I am sure it won't be long before you are all gathered around that campfire once more.Have a lovely week/end.Take Care God Bless Kathxx