It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Chapter 4, Page 14, Book 11

You cannot teach love, but you can feel the sweetness that it pours into everything.

Anne Sullivan


Anne Sullivan was the teacher who taught the famous deaf and blind Helen Keller.



Thankful Thursday!

Without gratitude, we can easily be captured by the restlessness of need, even the frenzy of scurrying about to get the next one thing that will make us happy.

We tell ourselves, If I just had X (you can fill in the blank), then I'd be satisfied. Giving thanks helps us move toward contentment, toward living joyfully the lives we really have.

Gratitude makes life worth living.


Who am I today? I ask..
And I wonder if I even know.
I know the past has shaped me now,
Even though the past was long ago.

The little moments form a blur,
The times both happy and sad,
All the people I once knew,
And the things I used to have.

They all helped me to become
Where, what and who I am now,
Because everything has influenced me,
I'm not sure exactly how.

But I'm thankful for the memories,
Even of the people I've never really met,
For the people I miss, the people I love,
And even the people I'd like to forget.

For these memories have helped me grow,
They've made me calm, yet strong,
And now there's a story to my life,
That they've been writing all along.

So, thank you for the memories.
Without them, I don't know who I'd be
Because somewhere among these memories
Are the things that define me

Author unknown


This week I'm thankful for all the everyday things in my life. My home, my family, my health and my friends. Even though I many times take these things for granted I do know they are some of the most important things in my life.

I'm thankful for all the signs of Spring that have finally come to my little part of the world.

I am thankful for the blessings of birds singing, how they lift my spirits. What a blessing it is to be able to hear them and see them.

For these and all my blessings I am so truly thankful



Lenten Tip for today: Pray for those that have touched your life



I hope that this Thursday you too can find something to be thankful for!

'On Ya'-ma

10 comments:

Midlife Mom said...

I like the poem, yes there are so many people and things that shape the person that we have become. It's good to take time and think about the different people and events in our life that made a difference. So many folks have gone on but I still think about them, my grandparents and the farm, different pastors and their wives that influenced me, friends that left this world what I consider too soon but God knows what he is doing, my MIL who has been gone for almost 20 years and I still miss her. I could go on and on. Thank you for that post, it's nice to stop the busyness of life and take time to reflect!! xoxox

TARYTERRE said...

You are right it is too easy to take people we love for granted. We should be more grateful. I really loved the poem. And I understand what you said about the birds. I love seeing the robins and redbirds gather in my yard. Hearing them sing brightens my mood.

Scrappy quilter said...

Andother wonderful Lenten tip. And a great thankful list. It's wonderful to be thankful for those in our lives isn't it. Just something about it that reminds us of the treasures we really do have. Hope you have a wonderful day. Hugs

That corgi :) said...

I was just thinking this morning Ma how I have gotten so much from your Lenten tips; I do look forward to them! All very wise ones and point us in the right directions of prayer and the right prayers for others, etc. Thanks for doing this!!

I continue to be thankful with you that spring is in the air at your place! I'm sure camping is not too far behind!!

betty

peggy said...

I depend on you to remind me to be thankful every morning. I've had some computer problems lately and have missed your posts. Seems okay now and I love the picture of your house. I was looking back at last year, I believe we are about two weeks behind in the blooming schedule. Yours is really coming along beautifully.

Kath said...

May the Lord make us truly Thankful Amen.Lovely post once more.Take care God Bless Kath xx

Sybil said...

Thank you for alwayd reminding us Ma that we have so much to be thankful for..even when we feel everything is bleak and barren looking...
Gla dthat you are at last seeing real signs of spring. We have been so lucky these last couple of weeks we have had borrowed weather from summer !!! and all the trees have burst into leaf, flowers are shooting up everywhere, and trees full of blossom especially the apple blossom that I see from my window as I type this.
God Bless, Love Sybil xx

Ally Lifewithally said...

It is a lovely Poem ~ I always enjoy reading you blog ~ it always makes me think ~ and I can always find something to be Thankful for every day of the week ~ Ally x

Martha (MM) said...

beautiful thoughts and poem. I'm also very grateful for the everyday things! I'm thankful tomorrow is Friday too! :-)

Hollie said...

So many things to be thankful for large & small! I'm thankful for all the things & people that have made me into the person I am!