It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

For Tuesday, March 29th, 2011

Almost always it is the fear of being ourselves that brings us to the mirror.

Antonio Porchia


TERRIFIC 2'S TUESDAY!

When we look in the mirror, sometimes we’re looking at our clothes, or the expressions on our faces. Other times, we’re just saying hello to ourselves.

Sometimes we avoid the mirror because we don’t want to face ourselves.

MIRRORS ARE magic. They mesmerise. They illuminate. They reflect our physical being and psychological presence. They provide our first visual encounter with ourselves. They may even determine when existence has ended – when no breath shadows the surface of a mirror held to the face.

It is not surprising that many superstitions surround mirrors, not least the seven years of bad luck consequent upon breaking one unless the fragments are buried by moonlight to expiate that fate.

The Irish tradition of covering mirrors when a person died ensured that the soul would not take fright or lose its way when making its exit from the world.

Vampires have traditionally been identified by their absence in mirrors, and looking into a mirror holding lighted candles is meant to reveal more than we might want from the other side.

All of these myths must contribute to the phobic fear of mirrors, or Eisoptrophobia, which is the avoidance of reflections or representations of oneself.

I wonder, how many of us waking up in the morning, looking at the mirror and tell ourselves -- I love you? I bet not many of us, or even none. Then, do you even SMILE to yourself in the morning?

Be good to yourself. Not to be self-centered. But just being good to the self that will always be with you till the end of your life. If it's not you, who will? Take a good look in the mirror, smile and welcome a wonderful new day! You are a unique and wonderful person!


Today's Lenten Tip:

Is your medicine chest full of over-the-counter pills that may not be cures? Take a moment to clean the shelves of outdated medicines and pray for your faith to be strengthened

There you have it -- my 2 things for this Tuesday! It's going to be a terrific one here at my house...when I looked in the mirror this morning someone was smiling back at me.

Have a wonderful Tuesday everyone!

'On Ya'-ma

10 comments:

BlueRidge Boomer said...

My mirror always gives me a morning laugh.....i have terrible "bed head"....hair goes in all different directions...LOL...LOL...

Enjoy

That corgi :) said...

I like your advice about the mirror, Ma. I rarely look in them and when I do, it is never with a smile. I'll have to change that indeed!!

good idea too to go through medicine cabinets and declutter them!

I hope it is a great day for you!

betty

Kathy said...

Very interesting post. I hadn't heard of most of the superstitions. I like how you said we should look at ourselves in the mirror and smile. I think most often we scowl at our images in mirrors since we are so critical of ourselves. Next time I pass the mirror I will smile my best smile at ME. :)

Hollie said...

I hope you have a wonderful Tuesday! It's still damp & cold here! Where oh where did my Spring go????

grammy said...

I always have such a problem getting rid of medicine....knowing it cost so much to replace it....tight wad...remember that saying?
I think the mirror is to save other people from seeing the morning look (in my case). I liked all that info on that subject though.

Rose said...

I use a magnifying mirror to tweeze my eyebrows.....Yikes...looking at my face that close.....hmmmmmm.

Yet, it allows me to apply my makeup to perfection. It has it's advantage as well as disadvantage.

I'm just accepting that I'm getting older. That doesn't mean I like it all that well.

jack69 said...

Thanks for the mirror fears and tracitions. I only knew of two of them.
Hope you are about to have SPRING

Martha (MM) said...

When I look in the mirror I'm honestly shocked and wonder each and every time how I got so old without noticing until the last couple of years. It's kind of weird!!

TARYTERRE said...

My grandma taught me to put an oil lamp in front of a mirror, if the power goes out. It will illuminate the whole room.

Linda :) said...

A spooky entry today all about mirrors, even had vampires... Happy Tuesday! :)