It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, February 21, 2011

Chapter 2, Page 21, Book 11

Merry Monday / President's Day in the USA

Presidents' Day dates back to our founding father and first President, George Washington. Washington was born on February 22, 1732. On his birthday in 1796, when Washington was in his last full year as president, the day became the holiday known as Washington's Birthday. However, Americans didn't observe this holiday until 1832, 100 years after his birth.

Abraham Lincoln was the next President to gain reverence similar to Washington. Born on February 12, 1809, Lincoln's birthday was first celebrated in 1865, the year after he was assassinated. Although his birthday was not honored as a federal holiday like Washington's, many states adopted it as a legal holiday.

In 1968, Congress passed legislation placing any federal holiday on a Monday, including Washington's birthday, to create a three-day weekend. In 1971, President Richard Nixon combined Washington's and Lincoln's birthdays into Presidents' Day. It would be celebrated on the third Monday in February, regardless of which day it fell on. Presidents' Day is now viewed as a holiday that pays tribute to both Washington and Lincoln, as well as all those who have served as president.

A favorite holiday for shoppers, Presidents Day is the last chance for retailers to unload less than popular winter merchandise before restocking for spring. It is an effective strategy since lots of people in February have cabin fever and are ready for some semi-serious recreational shopping.

It is not certain how Presidents Lincoln and Washington, whose birthdays were fused in order to form one legal holiday, would have felt about those bargains named in their honor. Washington endured cold, wintry battlefields probably wishing he had a new, warm coat or boots.

As frivolous as our celebrations may seem, it is truly a day to remember those great Presidents of ours and the unflagging work they have done to make our country great. Being a President is not an easy job. I wouldn't want to be one for sure. So today I'm celebrating our Presidents past, present and future.

I have already done my shopping and have some leftover cherry pie in the cupboard!

Have a Merry Monday everyone!

'On Ya'-ma




5 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

We are celebrating a holiday in our province too....Louis Reil day. Took a long time for our province to recognize Louis Reil, however a couple years ago they finally did. Hope you have a wonderful day. Hugs

Hollie said...

I love how you share information like today's. It's very interesting to read about! Thank you for taking the time to do it!

Thank you for your continued prayers for me & my family! I sure do appreciate it! I pray for you daily also!

Have a Merry Monday!

grammy said...

Thanks for the info on P. Day
I don't get the paper...so no adds...so I don't know what I am missing as far as sales...which is probably a good thing. (o:

That corgi :) said...

When we were at the gym this morning, we noticed it was lighter than usual, so lots of people (not me, LOL) had a 3-day weekend I'm surmising. Good for the economy with lots of sales I would imagine (especially if people buy some things ;)

enjoy your cherry pie and your day! I too would not want to be president, very hard job, no matter what you do it is never good enough

betty

Joann said...

Now I'm ashamed for not actually celebrating the day!! LOL!! I do honor those presidents.... just didn't do anything to honor the day.