It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Chapter 2, Page 10, Book 11

Little drops of water, little grains of sand, Make the mighty ocean and the pleasant land. So the little minutes, humble though they be, Make the mighty ages of eternity

Julia A. Fletcher

THANKFUL THURSDAY

My thanks goes to Julia Fletcher today for that nice quote shown above. Below you'll see a little description of her.

Julia Fletcher 1823-1908 was educated at Lancaster Academy, she achieved fame in 1845 for her poem Little Things. In 1849 she married Thomas J. Carney, a minister. Julia Fletcher Carney wrote for Universalist and other periodicals; many of her poems were set to music and published in school text-books or as hymns.

So many of the quotes I use are by the ever faithful Author Unknown but today I found one that I can give some credit to.

The month of February has seemed a continuation of January so far and as I found a few things to be thankful for then and I will do so today too.

In my family we have 2 more wonderful birthdays to celebrate in February. I'm so thankful for these 2 grandson's . Our Prince Charming and our Little Lucky guy were born in this very cold month of the year but they sure do warm their grand'ma's heart right up with their sweet smiles and loving ways.

And of course we celebrate our Presidents' Birthdays this month too. Such grand men as George Washington and Abe Lincoln started this celebration but now I guess it includes all our Presidents.

I celebrate their birthdays by going shopping with DD every year at the Outlet Mall. They have the best sales I've ever found. Sadly their choice of stores has depleted over the years but we still find enough bargains that we continue to go back. A day of shopping with my daughter isn't just all about what buys we find, it's mainly about a fun day spent with my daughter. I love all my family but she is special because she is the only girl. Sons are wonderful and I'm ever grateful for each one of them but having a daughter is a blessing for sure.

Of course the other great day I'm thankful for in February is VALENTINES Day. The great day of Love. I do have many friends and family that are the loves of my life and I'm so thankful for all of them. And too, Valentines Day means chocolates. I'm always thankful for chocolate! I remember my mom and how she loved those chocolate covered cherries. They were her favorites. I may just have to get some for a Valentine treat.

I know there will be many more things to be thankful for this month but for now those are the ones most foremost in my mind. God is good to us and it's wonderful how the small things give us such joy. Every day is a day to celebrate and enjoy the gifts found in each and every one.

I hope today is one that you can be thankful for too!
'On Ya'-ma

7 comments:

LYN said...

Yes daughters sure are a blessing! I often have a day out with mine..I even miss doing that with my own Mum..

Sonya said...

Have a great day, Ma! Thanks for your entries!

Hollie said...

Happy birthday to ♥ ♥ Prince Charming & ♥ ♥ Little Lucky Guy!

I know you do look forward to your shopping day with your daughter! I'm sure it is a special time together!

Scrappy quilter said...

As always a wonderful thankful list. I agree, daughters are a blessing. Hope you have a wonderful day. Enjoy some chocolates if you can. One of the best things about Valentines day, don't you think. Hugs

grammy said...

Glad you can go shopping with your girl...
I love to hang out with mine too
funny thing the boys just never call and say...Mom lets go have coffee (o:

Midlife Mom said...

You always have such great, uplifting posts! We all have so much to be thankful for but don't always think about it enough do we? My Mom and I used to love to shop, more for the day out together then what we bought, we still can go out a little but she can't see much so it's not quite the same. We say we will still keep going though and we always have such a good time together!

jack69 said...

Thankfully stopping by to say I hope the day was good.
I always love the quotes you pic out.
Love from Florida