It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, January 06, 2011

Chapter 1, Page 6, Book 11

THANKFUL THURSDAY

People are gifts of God to me! They are already wrapped, some beautifully and others less attractively. Some have been mishandled in the mail; others come Special Delivery. Some are loosely wrapped; others very tightly closed. But the wrapping is NOT the gift, and this is an important realization. It is so easy to make a mistake in this regard. To judge the contents by the cover. Sometimes the gift is opened very easily; sometimes the help of others is needed. MAYBE, it is because they are afraid. It could be that they were once opened and then discarded... Maybe they have been hurt before and don't want to be hurt again. They may now feel more like things than human persons.

I am a person; like everyone else I too am a gift. God filled me with a goodness that is only mine. And yet, sometimes I am afraid to look inside my wrapping. Maybe I am afraid I would be disappointed, and maybe I don't trust my own contents. OR, it may be that I have never really accepted the GIFT THAT I AM. Every meeting and sharing of persons is an exchange of gifts.

My gift is Me; Your gift is You. WE ARE GIFTS TO EACH OTHER.

Author Unknown

Some of God’s greatest blessings come in strange packages. I read about a man whose mother always gave strange gifts in unusual wrappings. One year he got a beautifully wrapped gift only to find it was a box of garbage bags. He was disappointed but his Mom said open the box. Not wanting to open a box of garbage bags he said he'd do it later. But his Mom insisted and inside that box labeled garbage bags was a check for $100.

Everything that happens today will take us to where we are meant to be tomorrow, but only if we allow it. Everything that happens today will teach us something new, but only if we are open to it.

We need to be thankful daily for life and all the blessings we have given to us. Sometimes we look at life and think we have been shortchanged. But, when we look around, we realize life could be much worse if we were in our neighbor's position. So many people have lost jobs and having a tough time in today's economic unrest. They never know from one day to the next if they will have food to eat or a place to lay their head at night.

Willie Nelson once said, When I started counting my blessings, my whole life turned around. It's true. My life has turned around for the better since I realized there are so many good things in it. Most of the time the difficulty would be to find anything bad in it.

I'm thankful for another year of life and all that it may bring. I'm thankful for the gifts of the people in my life. Family and friends are a blessing.

I'm thankful that DS#4 found a new job and was extra blessed as it is even better than the one he lost.

I'm thankful for my health and that of all my family too.

AND I am very thankful too for AUTHOR UNKNOWN who blesses me with with countless number of good thoughts.

Don't let stress ruin your day, focus your thoughts and energy on the good things in your life. Always remember that you have many blessings in your life! Be ever thankful for them.

It is Thankful Thursday here at my house today, I hope it is a day that you can be thankful too.

'On Ya'-ma

4 comments:

LYN said...

I'm thankful for your uplifiting posts!!

jack69 said...

I am thankful that the gifts are not designated by the wrappings, because we are looking at a package that has a rough exterier. We are hoping that there is a treasure inside. Each day is wrapped!

Good entry,
Love from Florida

Scrappy quilter said...

I so enjoy your Author Unknown words too. What an inspiring post. Like LYN saidl, they are always so uplifting. It does my heart good to read them each morning. Hugs

grammy said...

We do need to open all kinds of gifts don't we???
the wrapping can be a big deterrent in life... but wonderful things can be behind something we would never choose (o: