It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Chapter 1, Page 4, Book 11

This is the last of the pictures showing the gifts that I painted for Christmas. I did a bunch of these. Some went to my nieces and nephews and others to friends.

It's TERRIFIC 2's Tuesday

The long months of Winter are now officially here and at my house most of the Christmas decorations are packed up and put away. I like to do Seasonal decorating so now I'll be putting out what I call my winter things. I have white and blue throw pillows and off white throws to put on the couch and the chairs and I have a white table cloth to put on the dining room table. In the middle of the table I'll put a vase of white artificial magnolias along with a pair of white candles.
The house always seems darker in the winter time so I am hoping all these touches of white will help to brighten things up a bit. I have dark blue carpeting and dark blue upholstered furniture. The walls are a beige color of some sort so they help to brighten things up a little too. Of course I have several jar candles placed here and there around the house and they are white too.

My aim this time of year is to have my home as comfortable and as cozy as possible. Nothing fancy here but I do like to freshen things up and seasonal changes give me a chance to do that.

This month there will be several birthdays in my family and for the most part I will not be celebrating in person with them. Due to the fact that the weather isn't very good for traveling in and the fact that they all live pretty far away, chances are I won't see the January birthday people at all. I love celebrating with my family and always like to take advantage of any time I can do just that so I don't like it much when their special day passes and all I can do is send a card.

One thing I have found out over the years though, is that with so many of us, it is wise to plan ahead. Last minute gatherings are nice but the ones I know about ahead of time are usually the ones I most enjoy. Special times need to be scheduled into our lives . Three elements can make our celebrations much happier. Setting our priorities, planning and praying.

And when we use the Three R's -- Routine, rhythm and ritual we can make many happy moments and wonderful memories will follow.

There you have my Two for Tuesday. Winter decorating and some tips for family celebrations.
I hope your Tuesday is a TERRIFIC one!


'On Ya'-ma

5 comments:

Hollie said...

Wonderful ideas for brightening up your house during these dreary months. I'm like you...I like planned things....spur of the moment just doesn't work for me.

BlueRidge Boomer said...

I left my new candy cane striped table cloth out on the table...it's cheery and colorful...plus i just bought it at Wally World for a $1.25!! Such a deal..!!
Enjoy..stay safe and warm....

Scrappy quilter said...

I have seven birthdays this month in our family. Of those seven I think I'll see one. The weather is cold here so we won't be travelling anywhere. I love your paintings..so very pretty. Hope your day is wonderful. Hugs

grammy said...

I loved your painting...very cute (o:
I agree brightness is a must this time of year.
Here in Colorado we are blessed with a lot of sun.

Linda :) said...

I love all your presents you made for Christmas!!! :)