It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Chapter 1, Page 27, Book 11

What is a Blessing?

The good green earth beneath your feet
The air you breathe, the food you eat
Some work to do, a goal to win,
A sense of peace deep down within
In these simple things may you always find
Joys of the very greatest kind

Helen Steiner Rice

Thankful Thursday

Gratitude is one of those words that you don’t hear very often, but it is one that can do magic when it comes to shifting your attitude. I do hope you are hearing that I'm very thankful here at my house. I try to always be thankful and to remember too to give thanks.

When I say I'm THANKFUL, it means that I'm so glad to have someone or something in my life and I want to show that gratefulness to those that bring the blessing into my life too.

Taking the thoughts in the poem above today I'm thankful that we are almost halfway now through winter and there is hope that I'll be seeing some of that good green earth beneath my feet.

Just to be able to breathe is a blessing too. I 'm thankful that so far this winter no flues or colds have visited my house and except for sinus issues now and then, I can breathe and even manage to shovel some snow without huffing and puffing too much.

The blessing of having enough to eat every day and to be able to share what I have with others is also something I'm thankful for. During the non-camping months I try to have family over for dinner at least once a month. I love it when I can cook things for more than just me. After many years of preparing meals for a large family, I have a hard time making a meal for just one.

The work that I do these days is truly what I love to do. I can clean, craft, watch my grandson, to the tune of my time table and not someone else's . Well I do to some extent as my child caring is on their schedule and not mine, but I don't mind that at all.

I do have goals and with the good Lord's help I'm sure I'll reach them all someday. I don't stress out over any set backs but have learned to be thankful for each and every day, whatever it may bring.

The deep down sense of peace that I am feeling is one that is hard to express sometimes. The years of raising a large family and working endless hours took a toll on me and now I'm feeling so much better as I've had months of rest and relaxation to renew my body and my mind.

The simple things in life do bring me great JOY. I'm more blessed than I could ever say.

When you’re having one of those bad days and you need to feel better, more positive and more resourceful, refer back your Gratitude List.

After all, what you are most grateful for matters most.

Count your blessings instead of your crosses,
Count you gains instead of your losses,
Count your joys instead of your woes,
Count your friends instead of your foes.

Count your courage instead of your fears,
Count your laughs instead of your tears.
Count your full years instead of your lean,
Count your kind deeds instead of your mean.

Count your health instead of your wealth,
Count on God instead of yourself.

Irish Blessing

I hope your Thursday in which you can find many blessings to be THANKFUL for too.

'On Ya'-ma

5 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

Isn't it wonderful to have a thankful heart and a positive attitude. I love the retirement years...time to relax, not worry about schedules and just enjoy life. It looks like you're enjoying them too. Hope you have a wonderful Thurs. Hugs

Hollie said...

I'm so blessed also & very thankful for all those blessings! I'm not worthy of them!

I'm so ready for Spring also! I saw some beautiful Eastern Bluebirds checking out the birdhouses this morning! It's a sure sign to me that Spring is coming!

Have a blessed day my friend!

jack69 said...

The last two lines of the Irish blessing say it all!!!

Have a great day!!!

Buttercup said...

The Irish blessing is lovely. Let me add my gratitude for wonderful friends near and far.

Sybil said...

I too hav ethat deep down feel of peace Ma...and I feel so blessed
Spring is coming..the bulbs are popping up some crocus are already showing their purple and yellow petals...eben the buds on the clematis are growing but I have told them it's too early. Afraid a sharp frost will nip them all in te bud ... then what... even the wee birds are whistling away...they all think the last very codl snap was winter and it's now over LOL
Love Sybil xx