It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Chapter 1, Page 23, Book 11

Here is a little something to give you an UP lift today


The Word UP.

This is a fascinating thought process and for you people who like to play with words, you'll love this.
UP Did you ever think about this???? There is a two-letter word that perhaps has more meaning than any other two-letter word, and that is UP.

It's easy to understand UP, meaning toward the sky or at the top of the list, but when we waken in the morning, why do we wake UP?

At a meeting, why does a topic come UP? Why do we speak UP and why are the officers UP for election and why is it UP to the secretary to write UP a report?

We call UP our friends, we use it to brighten UP a room, polish UP the silver, we warm UP the leftovers and clean UP the kitchen. We lock UP the house and some guys fix UP the old car.

At other times the little word has real special meaning.

People stir UP trouble, line UP for tickets, work UP an appetite, and think UP excuses.

To be dressed is one thing but to be dressed UP is special.

And this is confusing:

A drain must be opened UP because it is stopped UP. We open UP a store in the morning but we close it UP at night. We seem to be pretty mixed UP about UP.

To be knowledgeable of the proper uses of UP, look UP the word in the dictionary. In a desk size dictionary, UP takes UP almost 1/4th the page and definitions add UP to about thirty.

If you are UP to it, you might try building UP a list of the many ways UP is used. It will take UP a lot of your time, but if you don't give UP, you may wind UP with a hundred or more.

When it threatens to rain, we say it is clouding UP. When the sun comes out we say it is clearing UP. When it rains, it wets UP the earth. When it doesn't rain for awhile, things dry UP. One could go on and on, but I'll wrap it UP, for now my time is UP, so I'll shut UP.....

Now


I'll be off to church this very cold morning as usual and you all will be in my thoughts and special prayers will be being said.

I hope your day is filled with lots of that wonderful R and R !

I'm looking UP!

'On Ya'-ma

11 comments:

Ally Lifewithally said...

What a facinating word "UP" is ~ hope your day is a blessed one ~ Ally x

Hollie said...

WOW! You know I've never really thought about the word UP! Thanks to you I now realize what a important little word UP is! I'm so glad that you brought it UP!!!

jack69 said...

That is all great about UP. But I sure hate to hear "It is time to get UP!" sometimes. This morning was one of those!!!!

Hope you have a great day.

Scrappy quilter said...

What an interesting word. Who would have even thought!! Hope you have a wonderful day. Hugs

Jean said...

Like Hollie i have never give it much thought. Thanks for bringing it up. I enjoyed, Hope you have a nice day.

Midlife Mom said...

Wow! That's a lot of usages for the word up! We say around here that we are going to go out and 'spruce up' the yard. :o) Wonder where that came from and why a spruce?

Very, very cold here. It was even cold in our little old church this morning until things warmed 'up'!

Hugs and have a great weekend!!

grammy said...

That was fun
never stopped to think how many ways we use UP
the first time would be when a a baby is about 10 months and holds out his hands and say....
"UP"

Sharon's Cottage Quilts said...

Hi MA!! Well, you've done it again...A wonderful post! I never thought about it before, but UP is small but mighty! Thanks for the thought provoking post!
Hugs to you, Sharon

Sharon's Cottage Quilts said...

Hi MA!! Well, you've done it again...A wonderful post! I never thought about it before, but UP is small but mighty! Thanks for the thought provoking post!
Hugs to you, Sharon

Kath said...

UP at the crack of dawn thats me Ma every Day.What a very well used word it is too.I like the others had never given it a thought how much it is used.Now I have caught UP on my comments.I will go put my feet UP heeeeeee and watch a little TV.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

Angie said...

I love words and all you can do with them. I often ponder on a word. If it's a particularly uncommon word or one with an obscure meaning you can bet your life I will hear that word several times that day, almost as if I told the world to say it!