It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Chapter 1, Page 22, Book 11

My grandmother's life evolved around God and her family. If we would slow down a little, we just might find out that we have passed happiness by and, in waiting a moment, we give it a chance to catch up with us.

It's SUPER Saturday and I'm thinking Ain't Life Grand!

Every woman knows that when her marriage, children, home and relationships are doing well, she feels a whole lot happier than when they are not .

The question in my mind is, Do we really believe that family is so important that we uphold caring for home and children as the best and most important job a woman might ever have?

As I've reached a point in my life where my children are all grown and I have grand children I still find myself believing that family life is important and that I'm still an important part of it too.

It's probably the most fulfilling, enjoyable and exciting time of my life. It makes you think it's all worthwhile; this is what life is about, it's what makes all the hard graft worth it. I know they say you can't have it all, but I reckon this is about as close as it gets

One thing you know by the time you're a granny is how quickly time goes by. You want to savor every moment, really make the most of it. I hope that my grandchildren know that, just as my children knew it before them. I clear space so that we can enjoy one another's company . With retirement I can give a lot more time than when I was working. And the time I spend with any of my family I feel is a great investment.

Distance is a problem in that many in my family live too far away from me and I find that hard to deal with. But you know even though they are far away that doesn't make any of them less thought of for sure. They are all in my thoughts and prayers every day.

I read that Grandparents now have a bigger role in the family than ever before. Women in their 50s, 60s and beyond are movers and shakers. Knowing that their grandparents are strong and interesting people will create positive role models for future generations. It will change how people think about aging and about the whole world as they grow older. I certainly hope that is the case because I am tired of hearing that life is over and seniors are a drain on society

They say you are as young as you feel and today I'm feeling SUPER!

HOW TO STAY YOUNG

1. Try everything twice. On Madams tombstone (of Whelan's and Madam) she said she wanted this epitaph: Tried everything twice...loved it both times!

2. Keep only cheerful friends. The grouches pull you down. (keep this In mind if you are one of those grouches;)

3. Keep learning: Learn more about the computer, crafts, gardening, whatever. Never let the brain get idle. "An idle mind is the devil's workshop." And the devil's name is Alzheimer's!

4. Enjoy the simple things.

5. Laugh often, long and loud. Laugh until you gasp for breath. And if you have a friend who makes you laugh, spend lots and Lots of time with HIM/HER.

6. The tears happen: Endure, grieve, and move on. The only person who is with us our entire life, is our self. LIVE while you are alive.

7. Surround yourself with what you love: Whether it's family, pets, keepsakes, music, plants, hobbies, whatever. Your home is your refuge.

8. Cherish your health: If it is good, preserve it. If it is unstable, improve it. If it is beyond what you can improve, get help.

9. Don't take guilt trips. Take a trip to the mall, even to the next county, to a foreign country, but NOT to where the guilt is.

10. Tell the people you love that you love them, at every opportunity.

11. Forgive now those who made you cry. You might not get a second time.


I hope your Saturday is a SUPER one too!

'On Ya'-ma

5 comments:

Hollie said...

Wonderful as always! I hope you have a great Saturday! I know you did enjoy your day out yesterday with your daughter!

Ally Lifewithally said...

Have a wonderful weekend ~ Hope your Saturday is a super one ~ Ally x

Scrappy quilter said...

Wonderful words of wisdom as always. It's wonderful to have family isn't it. And yes, as we get older we realize the time flies by a whole lot faster. Hope you have a wonderful Sat. Hugs

Buttercup said...

Always enjoy my visits here and your thoughtfulness. Loved the thought about guilt. It's a country I try not to visit very often. Hope you're enjoying the weekend.

jack69 said...

Goood stuff. I think I will think young until my body says, 'Who are you kidding?' then I will tryit one more day!!!
TAke care and stay warm