It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Chapter 12, Page 8, Book 10

WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY

I heard the bells on
Christmas Day
Their old, familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet
The words repeat
Of peace on earth,
good-will to men!


Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

The picture I'm sharing today is a very special bell. It has adorned my home since I have had a home of my own to decorate. The string pulls down and it plays Jingle Bells. Now a days I don't pull that string often as I'm afraid it will break. The music box still plays wonderfully but listening to it is done only once or twice during each Christmas season.

It is one of the few decorations that I've kept over the years. I'll be very careful with it in the hopes it'll last for many years to come.

Bells are another thing that I've collected over the years. For lack of really any place to put them they sit on my window sills all year long.

Bells, especially Church Bells, have been associated with Christmas for a long time. In Victorian times, it was very fashionable to go carol singing with small handbells to play the tune of the carol. Some times there would only be the bells and no singing!!! Handbell ringing is still popular today. No, I don't play tunes with my bells but I do enjoy listening to them. Each one has a different sound.

Today, bells are a common symbol for Christmas. Salvation Army volunteers ring them to announce their location for charitable giving, and even Santa's sleigh is adorned with bells. We bake Christmas cookies in the shape of bells and we have ornaments in the shape of bells. Jingle bells are hung on the door knobs of most of the doors here at my house

You might've heard this saying at Christmas: Every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings. Most people remember this saying from the movie It’s a Wonderful Life. But over a hundred years ago, this was a very common saying amongst kids.

Back in those days, kids believed that making noise was just a part of Christmas. And bells were an easy way to make that noise. Bells were inexpensive musical instruments that people could take with them caroling or wassailing and almost every family had one or more. Bells also provided a bright and cheery sound and were acceptable to parents as proper tools to celebrate and make noise at Christmas.

Christmas bells are remembered in classic holiday songs such as Jingle Bells,, Silver Bells, and Christmas Bells are Ringing. Bells make a happy sound and are enjoyed in ringing out the old and ringing in the new each season as has been done in times past

Silver Bells

City sidewalks, busy sidewalks
Dressed in holiday style.
In the air
There's a feeling
of Christmas.

Children laughing
People passing
Meeting smile after smile
And on ev'ry street corner you'll hear,

Silver bells, silver bells
It's Christmas time in the city.
Ring-a-ling, hear them sing.
Soon it will be Christmas day.

Strings of street lights
Even stop lights
Blink a bright red and green
As the shoppers rush
Home with their treasures.

Hear the snow crunch.
See the kids bunch.
This is Santa's big scene.
And above all this bustle
You'll hear,

Silver bells, silver bells
It's Christmas time in the city
Ring-a-ling, hear them sing
Soon it will be Christmas day.

Written by Jay Livingston and Ray Evans


It's cold snowing and very white here today. I hope your Wednesday is a WONDERFUL one!

'On Ya'-ma

5 comments:

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Good Morning!!
Have a great Wednesday....

jack69 said...

For someone who moes constantly and have all my life, it is amazing to hear of someone having an ornament that long, congratulations.
I love Longfellows writing and I love Silverbells also, it says so much about the season.

We B FREEZING DOWN HERE!
(I know you feel sorry for us!!ha!)

Sybil said...

I just love bells too Ma...When I worked at the shelterd housing in Bath we always arranged for a group of handbell ringers to come to start of our Christmas Celebrations. sometimes over 20 would come with handbells of all sizes from tiny tichy ones to such big ones that we coudl hardly "glang" when invited to. we always served mince pies and mulled wine that night what a joyful start to our celebration of the comming of the Christ Child..
I bet you ar eglad you don;t have to get the car out to go to work in this snowy weather..
Love Sybil xx

That corgi :) said...

What a cute bell, Ma! I can imagine it is very special to you if you have kept it for so many years! I'm sure lots of memories of previous Christmases as you put that bell up and look at it throughout the season!! Come to think of it, as I look around here, I don't have anything with bells; need to fix that as they are wonderful to announce joyous news and what better news to announce than the birth of our Savior!

betty

Lainey Laine said...

Awwwwww what a lovely bell that is. I love bells too and they do symbolise christmas for me. Such pretty sounds they make. xxxxx