It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, December 06, 2010

Chapter 12, Page 6, Book 10

Merry Monday

Just wondering today why it is that we have Snowmen for Christmas.

What could be merrier than a cute Snowman dancing and singing. I 'm one of many Snowman collectors out there and they are always a part of my Christmas decorations too. This year my cards have Snowmen on them too. So what is it that make snowmen such a big part of Christmas?

Back in the 50's Gene Autry recorded a song called Frosty the Snowman and it has become one of our most popular tunes and is played around Christmas time. Frosty has some elements of a fairy tale, with a snowman who comes to life with the addition of a magical silk hat and as Frosty begins to melt in the sun and so must hurry away, he promises to return again some day.

A snowman isn't always for Christmas though, we can make one anytime during Jan, Feb., and March too. It's like the only time of the year a snowman can be fun is a Christmas time. I rarely see one or hear the song any other time of year.

Could it be the magic that is involved? I think maybe so. Christmas is a magical time of year and miracles abound this holy season. Christmas is simply a Magical season. It’s that time of the year when the air is filled with lively exuberance, when spirits soar in joyous merriment, and families and friends get together to share love and relive old traditions..

Scrooges become gentle and loving. Grinches remember that there really is more to Christmas than presents under the tree. For a brief period, we seem to give ourselves permission to let go of all the little stressors that constrain us, and we open our hearts to love, to giving and receiving. It is a time when hearts are filled with joy, and minds are filled with caring thoughts much more than at any other time.

So although I've no magical hat I do have heart full of love. It will be a Merry Monday here at my house. I hope it is a Merry one for you too!

'On Ya'-ma

10 comments:

Hollie said...

Merry Monday indeed! I love Snowmen also! They just melt my heart! LOL I can't wait to see what crafts you are doing, but I know you can't post them because they are for your family! I know they are beautiful though!

Scrappy quilter said...

I love snowmen too. There is just something about them that always brings a smile to my face. I think they do bring out the magic of the season, don't you. Hugs

Tina G said...

I'm a huge fan of snowmen. I keep some of mine out thru January. Funny you mentioned them, I've recently taken photos to blog about them. May I have permission to copy and use your post? I know other bloggers copy others posts all the time, but I won't do it without asking! :-)
Happy Monday to you!

Lainey Laine said...

Awwwww I love that ole Frosty xxx

Ally Lifewithally said...

Merry Monday to you ~ I love to see snowmen and I love that song Frosty the Snowman This is a magical time of the year ~ Ally x

Sybil said...

Santa's alway make me smile Ma..as Hollie says they just melt my heart !!
Love Sybil xx

That corgi :) said...

I didn't realize how snowmen came to be part of Christmas decorations, very interesting! I do like Frosty the Snowman, cute song!! And I like a lot of us, like snowmen too (and snow flakes)

hoping you are enjoying your Monday, Ma! but I'm thinking you are!

betty

Midlife Mom said...

What a nice post! I love snowmen too as you will see when I get pictures taken of my decorating. I think one reason we all love snowmen is because they always seem so happy and that makes us feel happy looking at their sweet faces. :o)

jack69 said...

Well that is some folks up in your neck of the woods can make snowmen all winter long, but not down here, even though I think we might get some white stuff, unless it stays up in the higher elevations.

Hope you had a great Monday.

grammy said...

you are just a super sweet lady (o:
I love snowmen too
I am sure part of my reason for lacking in the Christmas Spirit department is just being tired...
wanting to make everything special...but lacking energy (o: