It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, December 04, 2010

Chapter 12, Page 4, Book 10


SUPER SATURDAY!

For many of us, Christmas traditions have many superstitions and religious beliefs e related to them. Many things and activities are classified as good omens and ill omens for the coming year on this day.

Did you know that traditionally, the doors of the home were thrown open at midnight on Christmas Eve to let the trapped evil spirits out.

Christmas evergreens represent endurance while the berries represent resurrection of life. Since the 15th century, holly and ivy were essential part of Christmas decorations for church.

Holly was used as a protection against witches and thunder.

Greedy merchants who put up their Christmas finery in November were subject to the daily court of the malicious intents of evil spirits

A leaf of ivy was left in a bowl of water on Hogmany (New Years Eve) until the eve of Twelfth Night (Little Christmas) on 6th January. If it remained fresh and green a good year was expected. If it withered and had black spots by the end, ill health was prophesized.

Giving a new pair of shoes as Christmas gifts would make your friends walk away from you.

According to English customs, however, If you do not give a new pair of shoes to a poor person at least once in your lifetime, you will go barefoot in the next world, so English people often gift shoes as Christmas presents to the poor.

Christmas is also a time to evoke tender feelings and feelings of love for Christ and fellow human beings. It is a time to open our hearts and welcome God and His Son into our lives.

Blessings are like flowers. When they are fresh people prize them, when they wither, people forget them. How often do we remember the blessings and the miracles that are showered on us from heaven above and how often do we whine about the misfortunes we are made to encounter throughout our lives

So on this Super Saturday I'll leave you with a blessing

During this Christmas season,
May you be blessed
With the spirit of the season,
which is peace,
The gladness of the season,
which is hope,
And the heart of the season,
which is love

'On Ya'-ma

7 comments:

jack69 said...

Okay Ma! I didn't know all that stuff. But I won't give a pair of shoes to a friend this Christmas, I can't afford to lose one! HA!

I am glad I never worried about superstitions. (except for the black, the ladder thing, the......)

LOL

Enjoyed the post.

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Looks like a Winter Wonderland kind'a day up here in the high country...!!!...thanks for all the info....

Enjoy

Scrappy quilter said...

I didn't know any of them either. I've never been concerned about superstitions either yet my mom was. I love the picture...looks a whole lot like outside my window right now. Hugs

Lainey Laine said...

OOOOH Ma I didnt know any of that stuff! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rose said...

I was not aware of all those superstitions.

I love your new "Header". You always present something lovely to look at.

Enjoy your Saturday!

I am patiently waiting for my new computer to be delivered but not looking forward to transferring all the data and I'll be a wreck! LOL

Hugs, Rose

That corgi :) said...

I didn't know any of those things, Ma, but I liked the one about what happened to merchants who put their stuff up in November :)

hope you had a great Saturday!

betty

Tina G said...

Great read! Thanks for all the info. We learn something new every day!
Enjoy the snow..I'd love to have some in my backyard!