It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Chapter 12, Page 25, Book 10

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Somewhere across the winter world tonight
You will be hearing chimes that fill the air;
Christmas extends its all-enfolding light
Across the distance...something we can share.

You will be singing, just the same as I,
These familiar songs we know so well,
And you will see these same stars in your sky
And wish upon that brightest one that fell.

I shall remember you and trim my tree,
One shining star upon the topmost bough;
I will hang wreaths of faith that all may see --
Tonight I glimpse beyond the here and now.

And all the time that we must be apart
I keep a candle in my heart.

Mary E. Linton, Candlelit Heart

Christmas is the season of lights, and Christmas candles have always been central to lighting the Christmas season. While today, Christmas candles are largely bought for gifting and d├ęcor, in the Victorian era, people used to decorate their Christmas trees with candles.

A candle placed in a window at Christmas time was believed to help guide the Christ Child as he wandered from house to house on Christmas Eve

The legend of the Christmas candle
Many years ago an old cobbler and his wife lived in a little village in Austria. Although very poor, whatever they owned they shared with others. Each night they placed a lighted candle in the window of their cottage as a sign of hospitality to any traveler needing shelter.

Through the years, war and famine plagued this little village. Yet, as though some mysterious charm guarded them, the cobbler and his wife suffered far less than their neighbors.

One evening, on the night before Christmas, the villagers gathered to discuss their plight. There is something special about the cobbler and his wife, said one villager. They are always spared our misfortunes. What do they do that we do not? Let us put a candle in our windows too. Perhaps that is the charm.

That night every home lit a Christmas candle in each window, and lo, before the sun rose, a messenger brought great news to the village. Peace had come! The villagers gave thanks to God for this blessing of Peace and vowed to always light candles on Christmas Eve.

This beautiful custom spread throughout the world, and each year millions of Christmas candles light up the world with a message of love and everlasting joy.

So as I light my Christmas candle today, I'll be holding you all close in my heart and wishing you the merriest of Christmases and an exciting, sparkling, and magical New Year

MERRY MERRY MERRY CHRISTMAS!
'On Ya'-ma

10 comments:

Buttercup said...

Beautiful story. Wishing you all the glow of Christmas.

Kathy said...

What a wonderful story. I wish I had a candle in my window. Now I know what it symbolizes. I am wishing you and yours a wonderful and blessed Christmas and many more memories to savor in the coming months of cold weather.

Kathy said...

What a wonderful story. I wish I had a candle in my window. Now I know what it symbolizes. I am wishing you and yours a wonderful and blessed Christmas and many more memories to savor in the coming months of cold weather.

Rose said...

Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year!

Hugs, Rose

Scrappy quilter said...

Merry CHristmas friend. Hugs

Hollie said...

Wonderful! We are getting a White CHristmas! Merry Christmas!

Joan said...

Lovely story love candles at Christmas too. We have a white Christmas here in Scotland not falling snow today but we have plenty lying around. Thank you for taking the time to write today. Happy Christmas my far away friend. Love Joan

jack69 said...

Thanks for the story. Just stopped by for a quick read, and to see that you are doing well up there.

We had a good Christmas, busier than usual and it is snowing in NOrth CArolina, that is different for down here.

Love from here.

That corgi :) said...

I hope you have a nice day tomorrow when you celebrate Christmas with your family, Ma!

Happy New Year!

betty

Joann said...

Nice Story!! I always wondered about that actually... it's not as common here on the west coast of the U.S. as it is in other places, but I have seen Christmas candles in the window and always thought that was such a nice tradition. Thanks, Ma! Hope you had a beautiful Christmas.