It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Chapter 12, Page 14, Book 10

WRAPPING GIFTS

Years ago I did a lot of gift shopping through the catalog and it was all delivered to my front door and spirited into the front hall closet. Then locked tightly lest any prying eyes should find them.

At my house gifts weren't placed under the tree until the children were in bed on Christmas Eve. Even when they grew older I still kept up that tradition. Now of course there is no one here but me on Christmas Eve and no one to open any gifts until our family gets together and that will be the day after Christmas this year.

It has become my new tradition to have our family get together on a different day as some have children of their own that they want to be home with on Christmas Day and others want to spend the day with their in-laws. Some years we've celebrated the weekend before but now that DS#6 has a baby and has to come into town we try to make their lives a little simpler by having it the same weekend. They travel in to visit with both his wife's family and with our family too. Their baby is almost 9 months old now and I can foresee the day when they too will want to be home on Christmas Day for their little one too.

Making new traditions is a must when you have a large family that lives in so many different places. I found out that it is impossible to please everyone and match all of their routines and schedules but for now this one seems to work the best.

It's a good time to make a grocery list for that special Christmas dinner too. I've only got to take the Ham and Baked beans this year but that wasn't always the case. It's good to sit down and make out a menu when you are having a big dinner. I've always done that and posted it on the fridge. Then when I go shopping for the food, I can make the list of what is needed right from the menu. That way nothing is forgotten. It is good to remember too what all ingredients will be needed for each dish.

There you have my 2 for this Tuesday...Another tradition and a tip. I hope your Tuesday is a Terrific. one!

'On Ya'-ma

5 comments:

jack69 said...

As you , we have found that being flexable at Christmas is the only to have the family together because for years the boys had their own families and the families of the in-laws and their own traditions to start.
Things change, some for the good some for the worse.
Divorce causes so much pain, especially on special days.

But we still hope to have a great Christmas!
From NC: Warm thoughts and LOVE

Scrappy quilter said...

I love that little snowman, so cute. We are doing new traditions now too with the boys gone and only C left at home. We even decided we aren't having a turkey this year. I love old traditions however making new ones are fun too. Hugs

Kathy said...

I think having a family Christmas on a day before the actual holiday is such a great idea. That way nobody misses out on the family celebration. Enjoy your family and have a wonderful Christmas

That corgi :) said...

How do you make your ham, Ma? Son indicated he might want ham this year with our get together and I don't have much luck with ham in the past.

I liked your idea about posting the menu on the fridge and the ingredients; helps immensely with shopping lists indeed!!

It is good that you were willing to share the holiday, so to speak, and not actually maybe celebrate it on the actual day with all your family as they have grown and started their own families. So many sometimes want the kids around and place a lot of "guilt" if it doesn't quite happen that way. What is more important is getting together and enjoying the time together regardless of the actual day on the calendar.

Have a good day today!

betty

grammy said...

Hope you get together with church friends on Christmas Eve...
All of a sudden my Calendar is making me somewhat crazy. I will survive though (o: