It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, December 13, 2010

Chapter 12, Page 13, Book 10

This is a picture of the snow we had last week.

MERRY MONDAY!

Every day is Christmas when you have the kind of mind,
That stores up all the goodness and the sweetness it can find
When you don't need an occasion, to spread a bit of cheer,
But just keep on a-giving, of yourself throughout the year

Every day is Christmas, with a gaily wrapped surprise,
When you've learned to see the friendship in someone else's eyes.
When you try a little harder, and complain a little less,
Holding fast to all the fervor of the faith that you possess

Every day is Christmas, when you've found that you can be
More concerned with words like you and less with I and me.
When it's fun to do a favor, and to lend a helping a hand,
When being understood means less, than when you understand

Every day is Christmas, with a beauty deeply cast,
When you find it doesn't matter, if you're first or if you're last
When you can face your conscience, and be glad of who you are,
Then every day is Christmas, for you'll have friends near and far.

Author Unknown

We have heavy snow with blowing and drifting here today. And thanks to that lake effect we get, we are supposed to have more through Wednesday. This is supposed to be my week with Mr. Wonderful. But today is a SNOW day for DS#5 and his wife so we'll just have to wait and see exactly how many days this week I'll be caring for him. SNOW days are days off from school due to bad weather. Both of them are teachers so if a SNOW day is called they don't have to work.

Snow plows have been out working to capacity since about midnight last night but roads are terrible so anyone going out to work will need extra time to get where they are going as it will be a slow go.

Our state has decreed that we can have only 3 calamity days off from school each year and this is a reticules few of them as our weather is often pretty bad during the winter. For me, I'd rather they not have to chance having kids out in bad weather rather than to let them stay home. If we go over the 3 days then they have to make it up on other days. I've heard of some having school on Saturdays to make up days and others just add it on at the end of the school year, making it longer.

For me, I don't worry at all as I'm in and don't have to drive in it at all, but I do have to shovel it. That is one job I don't like at all but it is good exercise. I just have to remember to take breaks often as I'm not as young as I used to be. I am also not as old as I'm going to be either.

Have a Merry Monday everyone! Keep warm and stay safe!

'On Ya'-ma

7 comments:

Sharon's Cottage Quilts said...

Merry Christmas MA! Another wonderful post! We too got a bit of snow, not nearly what you did though. We experienced 50 mile an hour winds, which was destructive. Stay in~Keep Warm!
Hugs, Sharon

jack69 said...

That one line was worth the read!
"I am not as young as I used to be, but I am not as old as I am gonna be!"

Love the thought that everyday can be Christmas!

Debbie said...

Brrrrr...it's really cold here too. We got blasted with winds, snow and cold last night with no power. Things are looking better for today.
LOVE the Christmas poem you shared.
Stay inside!!
Debbie@lakehouse

Scrappy quilter said...

Our weather has warmed up here, thankfully. We've not gotten the snow they said we we're suppose to get, yet we might yet. It's pretty dull outside. Stay warm my friend. Hugs

grammy said...

It is 60 here today and has been nice
of course it was colder the night we went to the Christmas parade (o:

That corgi :) said...

That is ridiculous with only 3 snow days, Ma! But I also know they have to get in their mandatory days too, so it is a dilemma. Schools never closed in Montana, but there were days where it was very treacherous getting the kids to and from school so you wished they would have closed them.

I'm glad though that DD#5 and wife could have the day with their little one though; that was a nice break I am sure, although I know you miss having him around!!

Do be careful with the shoveling, like you are! I know many a people get heart attacks with exerting themselves with it. I'd send son over if we lived closer to do your shoveling (although I have to say I did enjoy shoveling too :)

stay safe and warm!!

betty

Hollie said...

We had snow flurries all day yesterday & a few this morning! I sure hated to get out this morning as it was 14 & I have no idea what it actually was with the windchill! Stay warm my friend!