It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Chapter 12, Page 11, Book 10

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement.

Mulla Nasrudin

As I surfed away on the internet yesterday I found the quote that is shown above. This really struck home to me as I have made some bad judgements in the past and those experiences have really taught me to use good judgement.

I have always loved giving gifts at Christmas and there were a few times that I really went overboard, but those days for me are long over.

I'm doing things a lot different this year. Even though I would love to give all my children and grandchildren wonderful expensive gifts, now that I'm retired I can not even begin to do that. If I do it for one I'd do it for all as I love them all so much. There are now 28 dear and near in my family and it's beyond my meager funds to buy much at all for each one.

I know that though it isn't much, each one will appreciate what I've made for them. (I will show you pictures after Christmas.) I can buy what is needed to make their gifts really inexpensively. The time that it all takes is something that I have plenty of. Being retired frees me up with hours to spend time painting away in my studio (glorified craft room that is a shambles).

I turn on my Christmas music and paint away for hours and the time just flies by. All my love is put into doing something for those I love. Not only am I painting for my immediate family I'm painting for extended family and close friends too.

I've got somewhere close to 20 items done now that leaves me quite a few more to go. 2 more weeks till Christmas and then I'll be done. Christmas gifts will be done then, but there will be birthdays and anniversaries and other holidays coming up that will have some more home made gifts too. The New Year will find me doing more I'm sure.

So on this SUPER Saturday I'm wishing you a Super day . It will certainly be one here at my house.

Lots of Love and Hugs to you all. And please keep those that are struggling with keeping Christmas this year in your thoughts and prayers too.

'On Ya'-ma

6 comments:

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Enjoy your Super Saturday....i'm off to Charlotte, so the little brother can catch a plane home .... to beautiful 40* Florida....ha....!

Scrappy quilter said...

Homemade made with love is way better than bought gifts, in my opinion. I know everyone is going to love your special gifts. Wish you were my grandma. Hugs

grammy said...

Can't wait to see what you are making (o:
sure it will be wonderful.
I like to buy books at garage sales in the summer. 25 cents gets a great kids book like new (o:
Sometimes I save them for Christmas...sometimes I don't (o:

That corgi :) said...

I too can't wait to see what you made for your family this year!! I would rather get a gift made with love and I'm sure as you are painting you are thinking of the recipients and perhaps even praying for them; that means more than a store bought gift in my opinion :)

betty

Sybil said...

I think you are so sensible Ma it is not what the present is it is that it has been given with love. As I commented on another blog I would just hate to think anyone would get into deby just to give me somthing that they percieve that I might want...I hope that you have a wonderfulk weekend. will be thinking about you and have you in my prayers as always,
Love Sybil x

jack69 said...

The hand made, heart felt, love sent presents are the best.

Love the quote, true for me.

Stay warm.
Love from North Carolina