It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Chapter 12, Page 1, Book 10

Most people tend to stay indoors in the colder weather. We feel cold and just want to bundle up and stay warm indoors. Here are some WONDERFUL ways to enjoy the Holiday Season that have nothing to do with buying gifts.

For one night, why not make like the 19th century and rely on candles rather than electricity

Sit down, take a deep breath, and then slowly exhale. Stop doing and just be for a second. Now keep breathing in and out, and focus on the air coming through your nose, causing your chest to rise and your belly to swell. Let it out slowly.

When it’s blustery and going outside involves umpteen layers and boots that make you feel dowdy, isn’t it nice to just stay in and order a pizza? This is a great opportunity to watch all your Holiday favorites on TV

Have some hot chocolate. Mix up batches of a few different hot chocolate recipes or mixes, and have a wee teacup of each. Swirl the chocolate in your cup like wine and compare the notes and aromas of dark chocolate versus milk chocolate. Just sip ‘em and decide which takes the prize for most delicious and you’ve found your signature drink of the season. Then make a bigger cup with the winner and wiggle yourself into a cushy chair with a fat book.

Once you’ve stayed in with a movie night, and a hot chocolate tasting, you may find yourself fortified to actually brave the cold. Wear your puffiest jacket, your silliest hat, and your ugliest, most practical boots and take a walk

It's a great day for hot chocolate and a good book here. Of course I'll have my youngest grandchild here too and he always brightens my day. So it will be a Wonderful Wednesday at my house. I hope yours is a WONDERFUL one too.

'On Ya'-ma

9 comments:

Angie said...

It's a great day here for hot chocolate!

Hollie said...

I love snuggling in for a good book or movie while drinking hot chocolate or coffee! Wonderful entry as always! Have a great day with the grandbabe!

That corgi :) said...

Those look like great books to read too during the Christmas season!! I like your idea about the hot chocolate, Ma! That could be fun to do! I know one year when the kids were young, we got all the Christmas movies we had and watched one a night when we had the time. That was fun to do. We would all be bundled up under blankets or quilts and pop some popcorn. That was a good way to take off some of the chill (that was when we lived in Montana :)

Enjoy your day taking care of Mr. Wonderful!

betty

jack69 said...

Good advice for anyone, except for braving the cold. hahahahaha

I was remeinded of my friend Jack who lives in the Tennessee Mts. with no running water or electricity. I was looking at this lamps, and saw one he called an alladans lamp. "I don't use that one, because you must turn it down slow or it will break the fragile mantle. When I am ready for bed I just want to blow the lamp out and get under the covers."
I like jack.

Hope your day is great and the hot chocolate and book are good.

Joan said...

Sitting here in Scotland with our 2 and a half feet of snow all you tips toad are very relevant thank you. Take care and stay warm and safe. Love Joan

Scrappy quilter said...

As cold as it is here, I'm going to need some hot chocolate. Hugs

Tina G said...

I love your blog. Great choices on the books too. We think a lot alike! I'm a mom to 7 and gramma to 9!
You have a new follower!

grammy said...

Great ideas
which ones have you done?
I have read my holiday books (o:
looking through old Christmas magazines that I save.
I went to Target this morning ...and believe it or not I really enjoy that...when there are no crowds (o:

Kathy said...

Great ideas for braving the cold. I'll have to try them.