It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Chapter 11, Page 28, Book 10


The universal joy of Christmas is certainly wonderful. We ring the bells when princes are born, or toll a mournful dirge when great men pass away. Nations have their red-letter days, their carnivals and festivals, but once in the year and only once, the whole world stands still to celebrate the advent of a life.

Author Unknown


Today is the first Sunday in Advent and we light the first purple candle on our Advent wreath which represents HOPE. Many people use an Advent wreath to focus their attention. This wreath is a circle of greenery containing four purple candles with a white Christ candle in its center.

I could always use a little more hope in my life so I'm grateful for this Season of Advent.

This year we have four full weeks of Advent which for children might seem way too long. For those older and interested, a longer Advent allows us a bit more time to consider just how deeply each of us needs to be visited, embraced and rearranged. It is a four-week journey inward so as to live more towards the outward.

I had such a wonderful day yesterday with my family and am looking forward to another gathering in just 4 short weeks too. I had a big surprise yesterday as DS#4 and his family also came in. I haven't seen them in a long while and just couldn't believe how much their boys had grown.

The picture below shows all of us together yesterday afternoon.


I'll be off to church this morning and as always you all are in my thoughts and prayers.

Have a wonderful Sunday and I hope your day is filled with lots of that good R&R!

'On Ya'-ma

5 comments:

Hollie said...

Wow! What a great looking family! You are truly blessed! I'm glad you had such a great time together, & what a great surprise!

Angie said...

Enjoyed this post so much I got sidetracked after it looking bits up on Wikipedia. I didn't realise that Gaudete is actually part of the Advent season. I did enjoy listening to Steeleye Span singing those sacred words "Gaudete gaudete, Christus est natus..........."

Sybil said...

what a wonderful family photograph will look lovely lown up and framed, very rarely do you get so many smiling faces in one photo. I am so happy for you..
We have the codl weather now with temp down to -5 last night. snow in many places and although we only have a little snow it is enough to have me stuck indoors. Nop church for me this morning as the steep slope out of our site is like a ski slope !
Love Sybil xx

Scrappy quilter said...

What a great looking family. How nice that one of your sons and his family was able to be there. Hugs

That corgi :) said...

Fantastically wonderful family picture, Ma!! So glad DD#4 and family could join in the festivities!!!

betty