It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Chapter 11, Page 23, Book 10

TERRIFIC 2'S TUESDAY!

We all have holiday traditions that have been a part of our family life for years, but sometimes we want to choose some new traditions. Here are a few ideas that may just get you inspired. Add one or two new ones a year, and you'll find yourself looking forward to them as December rolls around

Use a beautiful blank book to record your holiday traditions. Make a note of the year at the top of the page... then write down where you lived , what the tree looked like, traditions you observed, and who was there. Ask guests and visitors to write a few lines as well. Record special gifts given or received. Take photos of the tree, your family, and guests, and add these to the book.

I have a book that we started a few years ago in which we write down what we are Thankful for at Thanksgiving. It's fun to look back at what was written in previous years.

Family recipes are often cherished harbingers of the holidays. Have a traditional holiday dinner menu every year. And make breakfast special as well. Serve a traditional beverage such as spiced cider, cocoa, mimosas, for special evenings or mornings. Choose things you enjoy making and love to eat.

One year I put together a Family Cookbook with everyone's favorite recipes and gave each of my children a copy for Christmas. I had a lot of fun putting it together but have also found that I made a few errors typing it up too.

My oldest son called me the other day to inquire about my recipe for Frothy Slosh. The punch we make every holiday. I had included a bottle of Chili sauce in the recipe and that was definitely a big mistake. What a laugh we got out of that one. Who knows how that happened. The recipe should have read. 1/2 bottle (32oz.) cranapple juice, 1/2 litter bottle ginger ale and about 8 or so scoops of orange sherbet . You just stir this around to get a very frothy looking and delicious punch.

Although he has had this cook book several years now, I guess it was the first time they had looked up that recipe.

t doesn't matter so much which traditions you choose to observe as long as they are meaningful to you and your family. Incorporate things you love to do and they'll be a joy and not just another holiday chore

That's my 2 things for a Terrific Tuesday!

I hope your Tuesday is a TERRIFIC one too.

'On Ya'-ma


7 comments:

Hollie said...

I love your ideas! It's things like that that make the holidays so special! The punch sounds yummy...lol about the typo. I hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving!

That corgi :) said...

Too cute about the typo on the recipe!! So glad your son decided to call you for clarification!! Love your idea about the memory book. That could be really neat too to "pass down" to other generations to see how holidays were spent by grandparents that they might not get a chance to know really well! Wonderful idea!!

Enjoy your Terrific Tuesday, Ma!

betty

grammy said...

I have been catching up everywhere
love the punch story
my motherinlaw put chili powder in a cake once and it was a family joke forever.
It happens when we are just a TAD frazzled
have a great celebration

Sybil said...

Another of your wonderful ideas Ma..can't begin to think what our Christmas will be like this year but perhpas we will begin to find some new traditions...
love sybil xx

Angie said...

MA, YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION!! What a brilliant idea, a Christmas Book. Now why didn't I think of that?

jack69 said...

Wow, what an addition to a recipe! It makes a great story though.

We HAD traditions, but not too much anymore. It looks like a good Thanksgiving this year. OUr Son had bought two complete meals for Thanksgiving from KFC. This will be different!!!
Good entry. Like the ideas.
jack & Sherry

Sharon's Cottage Quilts said...

Hi Ma! I love the chili sauce story! I have a good one for you! When I was about 10 years old my Italian family decided to depart from Thankgiving Turkey and instead make a giant ravioli dinner for 25 people! My little Italian grandma, my mom, and aunt worked for 3 days to make the ravioli dinner...the raviolis, the sauce, etc. Well, on the big day (everybody seated at the table), we walked the kitchen as my grandma was putting on the finishing touches, sprinkling parmesan canned cheese on the top of the bowls. Except it wasn't cheese at all...it was a can of Comet Cleanser!!! It wasn't funny at the time, but I smile every time I serve a bowl of homemade ravioli! Hugs~Sharon