It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Chapter 11, Page 20, Book 10

Super Saturday

Thinking about Thanksgiving today and wondering is it Dressing or Stuffing?

What's the proper way to refer to it: stuffing or dressing? Is there even a distinction?

Some believe that if it's cooked inside a roast, it should be dubbed stuffing; if it's prepared outside the bird, then the proper name for it is dressing. But go south of the Mason-Dixon line here in the U.S. , and cooks will call it dressing, regardless of how it is prepared. Likewise, northern states and New Englanders generally refer to the dish as stuffing across the board.

We can all call it one thing for sure: delicious.

I've always used the word stuffing when having my turkey at Thanksgiving.

I make my stuffing using dried stuffing mix bought in the store. They are croutons often seasoned with sage and onion. To that I add broth made from cooking the giblets and neck of the turkey , onions, more sage, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. and chopped celery. I don't stuff my turkey but bake it in a dish basting it with broth from the turkey to give it added flavor when baking.

My mother always stuffed hers but there was much controversy over the food safety of having it inside the turkey, so I changed and just did it in a different dish. I do put onion celery and all the other seasonings in the cavity of my turkey to give it a good flavor while roasting.

I get hungry just thinking about our family feast. Today I'm hoping to get my shopping done so next week I'll have everything I need to make my contributions to our dinner. I'm not cooking the Turkey this year, DS#3 is doing that so it will be interesting to see how he does his stuffing. Or maybe he'll have dressing. I'll let you know.

Have a SUPER Saturday everyone!

'On Ya'-ma

9 comments:

Joann said...

Hi Ma,

I call it stuffing... don't know why though.. LOL!!

I stuff my turkey with a rice stuffing that I put together with seasonings, chopped veggies, maybe some white raisins or cranberries, and let cook inside the bird. I also make a bread stuffing on the side with chopped apples and walnuts to serve with dinner. ooh, all this stuffing talk is making me HUNGRY!!! LOL!!!

Buttercup said...

As a New Englander it's always stuffing. But I discovered cornbread stuffing when I lived in Nashville and that's now my favorite. Don't get it much up here. We do the stuffing outside the turkey and it's still delicious.

BlueRidge Boomer said...

I only showed you the "cleaned" areas of my sewing room....i forgot to post the overflowing waste basket..!!
Have a great Saturday.....now i'm hungry, too....!!

Enjoy

Diann @ the thrifty Groove said...

I call it stuffing as well. I don't stuff the bird. I am going to do it a different way this year. I plan to stuff granny smith apples with the stuffing and bake them.

Kathy said...

I also say stuffing. I make mine with sausage, onions, celery, apples and butter and chicken broth. I usually use one of those bags you buy made of a cheesecloth like substance and put that in the cavity of the bird and stuff it. Then you just pull the bad out when it's done and there isn't a bunch left inside. It tastes better if it's cooked inside the turkey I think, but I also bake it in a pan sometimes too. Hmm I can almost smell the good smells of Thanksgiving

peggy said...

I could skip everything except the "dressin". I make the cornbread kind, my daughter and I are the only ones who like it. The rest of the family like "stuffing".

jack69 said...

Some dressing or stuffing I like, too much sage and I am out, but the right amount and the dish along with Cranberry sauce (jellied) is delicious. Add some turkey and I am THERE!

That corgi :) said...

Stuffing here :)

But your stuffing is similar to the stuffing my mom would make but she would stuff the bird. She was always good though about removing the stuffing almost immediately after the bird came out of the oven!

How fun to see what your son comes up with on cooking the turkey! However, I am sure it will be delicious!

betty

Sybil said...

definately stuffing this side of the pond Ma....I just adore my sisters stuffing much better than the actual turkey....I wonder if I will ever taste it again...
love Sybil x