It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Chapter 11, Page 16, Book 10


Make today a TERRIFIC 2's Day!

IT'S that time of year when we pull out the list you created for your Christmas Cards

Today I'm going to find my favorite pen and get busy. I'll gather the envelopes together and begin to write addresses on all of the cards. This gives me a chance to think about what I might like to say to each person in the note I'll be writing to them

AND WHILE I WRITE THE CARDS it will be great to ENJOY THE SMELL OF A HEAVENLY SOUP simmering away in the crock pot. You cannot beat a hearty, healthy meal in November where all you have to do is throw all of the ingredients together in 1 pot. Soups and stews also make great Football fare. Just add some type of bread and maybe even a salad for a delicious meal!

Slow Cooker Ham and Wild Rice Soup

2 cups diced cooked ham
3/4 cup uncooked wild rice
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 bag (1 pound) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
1 3/4 cups chicken broth (from 32-ounce carton)
1 can (10.75 ounces) reduced-sodium cream of celery soup
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 cups water
1/2 cup half-and-half

Mix all ingredients except half-and-half in 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker.
Cover and cook on Low heat setting 8 to 9 hours.
Then stir in half-and-half. Increase heat setting to High. Cover and cook 10 to 15 minutes or until hot.

Makes 8 - 1 cup servings


My Thanksgiving menu is planned, so now I can begin to inventory the pantry to discover exactly what ingredients still need to be purchased. I'll make a list so I can pick up items now when they are on sale and have them when they are needed.

It is also a good time to remember that Thanksgiving will see still plenty of families struggling to provide the ingredients for a traditional meal. Many men, women, and children will rely on donations of food from their local food bank throughout this holiday season. When making out the grocery list you started for your Thanksgiving meal planning, add some non-perishable items for a food bank.

While earning your daily bread, be sure you share a slice with those less fortunate.

Quoted in P.S. I Love You


That's my two for today! Start writing out those cards while enjoying some soup and make your grocery list.

Have a TERRIFIC 2's day everyone!

'On Ya'-ma

6 comments:

Ally Lifewithally said...

Hope your 2's day is a terrific one ~ took a copy of the Ham and wild Rice soup ~ that is one I will look forward to trying ~ what a good idea to start writing your Christmas Cards early ~ Ally x

jack69 said...

Like Ally, grabbed the recipe. Thanks. I guess the Holidays coming up I will 'grab' a few recipes. I am a one pot person when cooking, so this fits.
Thanks and have a great week.
We are in Florida one more day.

Scrappy quilter said...

Hope you have a terrific day too. That soup sounds heavenly. Hugs

grammy said...

Good advice as usual. I am having the kids and their parents over for ham this Friday night. So..that soup recipe will come in handy. I might have to freeze (does ham freeze alright)leftovers because we are leaving onWed, to drive 700 miles to hubbies folks. Because you just reminded me... I should take cards to work on.

That corgi :) said...

I think it is neat, Ma, that you take the time to write a little letter/note in your Christmas cards! I bet the recipients enjoy reading whatever you write! Loved the picture of Disney all decked out for the holidays! Helps put one in a festive mood! Liked the recipe too; snagged it to make sometime this season! I was on a blog earlier that had a recipe for turkey pumpkin soup, interesting I thought.

enjoy the day!

betty

Hollie said...

Sounds like a lovely day at your house! I just wished I could pull up a chair & sit with you for awhile!