It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Chapter 10, Page 16, Book 10

SUPER SATURDAY is here!

Fall just doesn’t care if you’re sad or depressed, it’s here nonetheless. And winter won’t hold off until you’re feeling less anxious. The seasons will change no matter what happens in our lives

Seasons tend to put life into perspective. I gaze out onto the trees in my backyard and know not only that some of them are older than me, but will be here for many generations to come long after I’m gone. It kind of puts things into perspective for me.

The weather is getting cooler and that tends to drive us all indoors more, into closer quarters so to speak. Closer living brings a greater opportunity to share germs too.

With our moving indoors we tend to decrease our activity levels from summer, eat heavier foods, and have decreased access to direct sunlight. Each of these can cause us to have those seasonal colds and flus. So I thought I share some 'to do's' with you today.

Frequent hand washing is the number one step you can take to avoid getting sick and spreading germs to others.

Make sure you are eating healthy foods and ones that support good digestion.

Dress accordingly for the weather. Keep a jacket handy and cover your neck if needed.

If you suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder like I do, consider Full Spectrum Light bulbs in a few of your reading lights in your home and even perhaps your work space. In addition to diminished mood, our bodies' ability to manufacture Vitamin D is decreased during this time of the year. Remember to bump up your daily supplementation of Vitamin D over the fall and winter months.

Best treatment for colds, coughs, flu is rest, fluids, teas, and loving self care. Please stay at home if you are ill and decrease the spread of germs.

It seems like the older I become, the faster the seasons revolve, progressing almost at a dizzying pace. I'm trying to savor the changes, knowing that each season that passes will come again.

Welcome in autumn, breathe in the last perfumes of summer's flowers while enjoying the coolness of autumn. Enjoy the change of the seasons. As the earth shifts into its' darkening phase of the year, be open to going with the slowing flow. Treat yourself to healthy foods, the company of family and friends and time for yourself for some inner reflection too.

Have a SUPER Saturday everyone!

'On Ya'-ma

6 comments:

Angie said...

May I add another 'do' to your list? DO get your flu jab (shot)!

Happy Saturday everyone - xxx

Sonya said...

My doctor said my bloodwork came in very low in Vitamin D. Must be b/c I miss the sun driving in to work most days and it's almost set when I come home. ha. Anyway, she prescribed a potent Vitamin D pill - slow release gel pill that I take once a week. I think it has given me more energy and I'm sure about the "outlook" yet. I'm hoping it brings that too. Love that fall photo at the top of your page.

Hollie said...

Great entry! Thanks for all the tips! We enjoyed sitting by a fire last night, & I thought of you!

BlueRidge Boomer said...

About that....SAD....if the weather is bright, sunny...but cold....i bundle -up and drag a rocking chair into the corner of the porch....and soak up some sunshine....with hot cocoa or coffee..of course...!!

Enjoy

That corgi :) said...

I like your line, Ma, "the seasons will change no matter what happens in our lives". So true! I'm with you, the seasons do tend to be going so much quickly these days!! I can't believe we are already more than halfway through October!

all great advice for staying healthy through the days ahead too; in the past when we lived in Montana, I would always take 2 Vitamin C's every morning which I think helped build up my immune system

enjoy your Saturday!

betty

jack69 said...

Thank goodness I hardly notice a season has changed, except FALL. Then there is so much beauty I don't mind at all.

I am sure there are folk that will be able to put some of this to work for them.

Take care, have a great Sunday.