It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Chapter 9, Page 21, Book 10






Today is TERRIFIC TUESDAY

And I am celebrating the end of summer today...

First on my list today is a slice of watermelon.

I found this cute little guy at the grocery story yesterday so I thought he was probably just the right size for me.

Then I'm either going to have a glass of Iced
tea or Lemonade...Maybe both.

These are my favorite summer foods. At least the ones i have the most often and they all things that are good for you!



Watermelon


Think back to when you were a child and when during the summer months, the pinnacle of cookouts and family gatherings was always the cold juicy watermelon that was for desert. Watermelons have tremendous health benefits that anyone should take advantage of every year.

#1 Lycopene is an antioxidant found in most red colored fruits, with the exception of a few things such as strawberries. Scientific studies have shown that Lycopene reduces the risk of prostate cancer and heart disease in people.

#2 Vitamin B6 is an important attribute to have in a healthy diet because it promotes chemicals in the brain that help people to cope with anxiety and panic.

#3 Vitamin C If you thought oranges were the only fruit that could provide you with Vitamin C, think again. Vitamin C is important to not only being healthy, but remaining attractive all your life. Vitamin C boosts the immune system so that you get sick less often and it also slows down aging and medical conditions such as cataract.

#4 Vitamin A works much like Vitamin C, in that it helps boost immunity, but it also help your body fight off infection. It also prevents blindness.
Tea

There’s simply no denying that a daily spot of tea does the body good. Tea contains high levels of antioxidants, some of which are called polyphenols, flavonoids, and catechins, and all of which take on the “free radicals” in the body and prevent them from harming the healthy cells on board

Tea also contains flouride which benefits your teeth and has bacteria killing properties which helps control bad breath and the formation of plaque

White tea has more antioxidants than any other tea.

Green tea has more catechin antioxidants than black tea since black tea goes through more processing.

Freshly brewed teas have more polyphenol antioxidants than instant or bottled teas

Study finds tea drinkers have lower blood pressure

Black tea may lower “bad” cholesterol
Lemonade

A glass of lemonade a day may keep your wrinkles at bay
drinking lemon juice not only cleanses your skin internally by flushing out toxins from your system, but also adds a youthful glow to the skin by rejuvenating it.
Lemon is an excellent fruit that aids in fighting problems related to throat infections,

Lemon is also a diuretic and hence lemon water can treat rheum
atism and arthritis. It helps to flush out bacteria and toxins out of the body

These summer gifts of nature are so good for us and so good to eat and drink too.
I hope your Tuesday is TERRIFIC one.

'On Ya'-ma

6 comments:

jack69 said...

Sometimes you people on the net know too much. Sherry knows that stuff about vitamins so I take what she gives me.
BUT DID YOU HAVE TO SHOW THE WATERMELLON?

That is something I love with or without out any healthful ingredients!!!

That truly brings back childhood. I could nearly eat the rind.

grammy said...

I am going to look for one of those watermelons to take camping this weekend (o: It looks soooo good...and as you pointed out...healthy (o:

That corgi :) said...

perfect end for the last day of summer to have such delicious wonderful treats!! what a cute size for a watermelon!! I bet it tasted good too! thanks for telling us the health benefits too Ma of the watermelon, teas, and lemonade! something we all need to be aware of as we age (gracefully of course :)

betty

JCWillow99@gmail.com said...

I love all three, watermellon, tea and lemon anything.
It is good to know somethings that taste so good are good for you.
Hot tea in the winter with a bit of honey and half and half is my favorite drink.
I like it better than coffee.
I hope you have a good week.

Sybil said...

what a cute wee water melon...never seen one that size. The ones we get over here are usually HUGE and so heavy they are hard for me to carry from shop so can only get one if someone gets it for me...believe it or not I never saw or even heard of such a fruit in my childhood must have been to do with the war I suppose. I can't even remember when I first saw one but I was well into adulthood I think. I love them. (can remember the first banana though, must have been about 5 when a neighbour brought one in for me..I tried to eat it skin and all !!) as for tea well over here I am called a "tea Jenny" as I will have a cuppa at the drop of a hat.
Love Sybil xx

Ora said...

I am starving...and it is all your fault LOLOL...and that melon looks so good...guess where I am going tomorrow...yes...to the store to get one...hubby can have half..maybe LOL...and I can have the other...and I am not really a tea drinker...coffee neither...was a cola addict but have that under control now....so will stick with water...keeps me out of trouble...hugs to ya...all day long