It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Chapter 9, Page 28, Book 10






I'm thinking about keeping warm on today. As the days are getting cooler I try to put off turning the central heating on here at my house and also at the camper when I'm there. Fuel costs are a major drain on my budget and I try to keep them low.

Fall can often seem like the limbo of seasons. It's not quite cold enough for a pea coat, but definitely not warm enough for a sun dress. Many people do not know how to dress for the weather and as a result, they are often uncomfortable. I try to focus on layers and light but cozy fabrics. In addition to keeping you warm, layering makes it easier to avoid becoming overheated.


It's time to pack away my flat leather sandals, any shell jewelry, those formless dog-day dresses...these, for me, only serve to remind me that the beach and the long summer evenings are gone for another year.

As the days get shorter, the difference between day temperature and night temperature gets significantly greater. I wear a light sweater or jacket in the morning that can easily allow me to shed layers as the day goes by and the sun bears down. You can tie the sweater around your neck for a preppy look

Once the weather takes a turn for the worse, I forget being fashionable and focus on keeping comfortable and staying warm and dry. In wet weather, the trick is to stay dry. Wet clothing draws body heat out. There are still a few camping days left this year and a waterproof coat and shoes are always a part of my wardrobe.

Traditional thermal undergarments do well for the first layer. An alternative to traditional thermals is silk. Silk is very warm and feels wonderful. At the advice of a friend I tried out Winter Silks a few years ago and just love them as they are lighter than the traditional thermals.


Layer a knit sweater or sweatshirt over the top of the first layer and then add your coat or jacket as the top layer.Wrap a scarf around your neck and pull it snug. On really cold days you may want to tuck it into your coat for added warmth.


At home you'll often find me with a turtle neck shirt as the second layer covered by a vest or a sweater. I love fleece too and it really keeps you warm. Outdoor enthusiasts have long recognized that multiple layers of clothing keep them warm in winter and from overheating in summer.



The best tip for any season is to dress in clothes that are comfortable and fit you well. This is TERRIFIC Tuesday and although it is wet, cool and raining here I'm going to feel TERRIFIC cause I've got my layers on!

I hope your Tuesday is a TERRIFIC one too!

'On Ya' - ma

9 comments:

Hollie said...

It's 54.6 this morning, & I'm loving it! I know you have the most beautiful clothes!!! I love this time of year also, because you share your fall outfits! They are all so cute! Stay warm & cozy!

JCWillow99@gmail.com said...

I love the colors you chose.
All those look nice. I need to buy some warm sweat shirts for fall. It is still in the 70's here. But we are having some rain.

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Layering is wonderful....and in cool weather i'm never without my long sleeve mock turtleneck t-shirts.....!!

Enjoy

Ally Lifewithally said...

Loved your clothes ~ Did you embroider them ~ they look so good ~ and cosy ~ Hope your Tuesday is a good one ~ Ally x

grammy said...

Wow...what a bunch of cute tops (o:
I have to layer...
It is hot outside... but much cooler down here in the daycare room and computer room.. socks and sweatshirt down here...lol

That corgi :) said...

wonderful array of clothese you have Ma to get you through the fall/winter season ahead! yep, layering is the way to go indeed! I used to wear a tee-shirt under my sweatshirt when we lived in Montana (here too when it gets cold) and that helped keep me warm. Good wool socks too on my toes since my feet always seemed to be cold. I will have to look into winter silks, haven't seen/heard much about them.

betty

Joyful Days said...

Love, love those fall clothes!! Good advice about staying dry helping to stay warm.

Looking forward to fall!

Julie

jack69 said...

Sounds like good information. We just do it a little different. Point the RV South to Florida/Texas or Arizona.

Nice to live in a home on wheels everyonce and awhile.

From Toad Suck, in Arkansas.

jack69 said...

Sounds like good information. We just do it a little different. Point the RV South to Florida/Texas or Arizona.

Nice to live in a home on wheels everyonce and awhile.

From Toad Suck, in Arkansas.