It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Chapter 9, Page 25, Book 10

The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation

Pearl S. Buck


There was a short period of time in my life that I went through what is commonly called the empty nest syndrome, a time of depression and loss of purpose that plagues parents, especially mothers, when the kids leave home.

I had a really hard time adjusting to living alone. After all it was the first time in my life that I'd had to do so.
I went from living at home with my parents into my own home when I got married, then we had all my lovely babes so truly I'd never been by myself at all.

There are of course some benefits to having my home to myself. The electric bill and the grocery bill decreased immensely for one thing. The house is always quieter than it used to be and I can go to bed early if I want .

I no longer attend school activities and meetings which used to be a big part of my life.
I found out too that kids who have grown up and left can be a window on the world for parents which can give them a perspective on everything from new technology to new trends.

It has been a blessing to see my grown children making responsible choices and wise decisions. You can breathe a sigh of relief when you see your positive influence being lived out in their lives

The empty nest stirs a range of emotions, from pleased and proud to sad and worried
Now my role as a parent has changed. I cheer for them as they succeed and stand by them in comfort when they fail. My goal was to raise secure and confident kids who were prepared to handle whatever life has for them and I think they do it quite well too.

I'm camping this weekend with a couple of my children and their families too and it makes me one happy mom to be able to share this time with them but I am now also happy to return to my empty quiet nest and enjoy it too.

I hope your Saturday is a SUPER one!

'On Ya'-ma

4 comments:

jack69 said...

Enjoy the weekend, of course you will. It seems you addressed and answered well the problems of the empty nest, but for this week end the nest will be full again, well, sort of!

Sybil said...

sorry Ma that I havn't been around to comment these past few days. But it has been a hard week what with the funeral of my BIL etc.
However I am still here and enjoying what you write to us every day. Hope you are having a wonderful weekend at the camp and that the weather stays nice for you. The cold mornings have arrived here now..was a little frost this morning !
Love Sybil x

That corgi :) said...

neat you are camping with family this weekend Ma! hope the weather is pleasant. I actually dreaded the empty nest syndrome then after I started getting use to it, he moved back home, now I'm ready to have it empty for a bit when he gets things together, LOL

I think you did a great job with your children! all seem like wonderful individuals!

betty

Rose said...

Glad your children will be with you this weekend.

I understand the empty nest feeling all too well.

Hugs, Rose