It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Friday, September 17, 2010

Chapter 9, Page 17, Book 10

Our tree is usually the first on the street to loose its leaves. As you can see it is mostly still green here. But we do have bits of red and gold scattered here and there everywhere.


Patience and persistence make dreams come true. It’s easy to get frustrated and impatient while working hard to achieve dreams that still seem far away.

For years I dreamed of being able to quit work and be what I've always considered my true calling. A mom and a house wife. Some dreams are a little harder to accomplish than others. With the death of my husband I was no longer a wife but I sure was still a mom. Working just to pay the bills and keep a home for my children certainly motivated me to keep on working. Then several years ago I found myself with an empty house due the fact that they all graduated from school, moved on to their jobs and new homes and marriage too. My family increased in sized and we now number 28, but those at home only number 1 - that's me.

When they all left home, I was still motivated to work as I had bills to pay and a house to keep up with. But then I reached the magical age of 66 and according to Social Security which I paid into for many years of working, I could retire. They have a set date that they feel you qualify for full benefits which are gauged by the amount of money you earned.

So long story short, here I am retired and just loving it. I'm still working out a routine and my days are often crazy due to family celebrations and emergencies too. But the great thing is I'm free to take part in whatever may be going on. For years I was tied to the job and very limited as far as what I could do.

There are lots of other things make us feel as though we are stuck and that we'll never find our way out, but hold on to your dreams. Persistence will eventually pay off. Hang in there and don't give up.

Today is FANTASTIC Friday. Usually I'm camping for the weekend by now but due to things going on with family, I'm home and even though it's now what I'd planned, it'll be a fantastic day.

I hope your day is FANTASTIC one too.

'On Ya'-ma



3 comments:

That corgi :) said...

wow, leaves already falling!! fall is truly just around the corner!! (and wwe are still in the high 80s and low 90s here :)

it is so neat to hear that you are enjoying retirement, Ma! I know for some when they retire, they are "lost" not knowing how to fill their days, but it seems like you have done that and are loving the life you are living right now :)

enjoy!

betty

jack69 said...

YOu are one persistent and tough lady. I know the kids appreciated the ability of Mom to keep functioning. Have a great weekend and enjoy the fallcolors.

Ally Lifewithally said...

It only seems like yesterday the leaves were opening to welcome Spring and now they are quickly falling off the trees here and the Ivy clinging to the walls has turned a deep red ~ glad your retirement is going so well for you ~ Ally x